Thread: Peg

Forum Member

Peg

Hello everyone don't come on here much as haven't got much time caring for Mam & 3 kids & working 1 nightshift a week
    Can I ask those of you who have had the peg fitted how was u after it ? How long did u stay in hospital for ?
    Also Mam don't need the peg at the moment but they are just putting it in place ready for when she does
    She has a choice of either being sedated or the spray in the throat & she not sure what to choose
    So I would like to know everything u can tell me on this please as Mam due to go next month to have it providing they got a bed for her after it ,
    Thanks

Hi Nightowl;

I have a RIG feeding tube although I believe that there are less problems with a PEG.

The operation is quite different but the end result is similar. I just had a throat spray but the nasal tube that goes down is very small compared with the PEG one that I think goes in your mouth. They do normally offer some relaxant medication as well as local anesthetic.

The time in hospital varies depending on the hospital, sedation and what your mum wants.

I went in in the morning, had the opp about late lunch time and stayed in one night.

I had some pain for two weeks but only took over the counter meds.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thank you terry very helpful
    Do nurses come & check it from time to time or do u have carers in that take care of it
    I've never heard of a rig , I work in a nursing home & a resident had a peg but that was 10 years ago & cant remember much about them

Hi Nightowl;

I do flush it with drinking water once a day as I don't use it apart from if I am ill. The RIG is put in from the outside and has a balloon which has 5 mil of water in it to hold it in place. Because of that, the balloon water needs changing every week or so and the whole thing stays in about 4 months and then it is changed by the feeding tube nurse.

The PEG opp is quite different because it is threaded out from the inside and has a plastic flange that holds it in from the inside and not a balloon. This is a bit less trouble and is a lot less likely to come out if pulled a lot.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Nightowl;

There are information sheets on many things on the main Mnda web site, one of these does explain most things quite well regarding feeding tubes:- https://www.mndassociation.org/wp-co...be-feeding.pdf

Love Terry

Hi Tania,

Your mum is doing the right thing in getting a feeding tube before it becomes a critical issue.

For a PEG procedure, I’d recommend having the sedation, which is only a light sedation and recovery from it is quick. It can be unpleasant swallowing the endoscope – a camera on the end of a long, flexible tube – and having guide wires passed through one’s mouth. The injection of local anaesthetic into the tummy can be sore too.

If she’s oblivious to what’s going on, she won’t be traumatised!!

Looking after a feeding tube and giving water, meds or feed through it isn’t as daunting or as scary as you’d think. Here’s a good site for info on feeding tubes specifically for people with ALS/MND (but of course if you’ve any more questions, ask away)

http://mytube.mymnd.org.uk/

Most people stay in hospital for a day or two.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.

Forum Member
    Ellie:

I am mightily relieved 'The Professor' (I have bestowed an honorary professorship on you) is back doing her rounds.

Charles

Forum Member
    Hi It really depends on your mums pain threshold.
    Im very bad with pain and had the throat spray and they numbed my tummy.
    It all went fine TG.
    The very best of luck.
    Stellz

Hi
    I don't know how it is in the States. I live in Germany. Got my peg a year ago. It was very easy. I went to hospital in the late morning.ThereI got a light sedation for 20 minutes. The surgery took 10 minutes. After it I had to stay 4 hours.Was back home in the late afternoon. Never had any problems.