Thread: Physiotherapy

Smile Physiotherapy

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that you might want to explore physiotherapy following a positive experience by me. Following several falls my consultant wrote to my GP to request a referral for physio. Now I have had physiotherapy before and they gave me exercises to help with spasticity but my current sessions involve balance. I go weekly for 1 hour and I sit on a dome shape cushion and try to catch a ball thrown by the therapist. I'm rubbish at catching but the idea is to improve my balance and reaction. I also stand on a larger inverted dome and that is scary but the therapist is there to catch me.

These sessions are a win win because the physiotherapist is studying MND in patients so she is pumping me for information about the disease and the support systems.

I realise that this is only useful to those of us who are ambulant but if it helps minimise falls then it may be worth exploring.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Life is a journey, not a destination.

Hi Barry;

It's a good idea to get referred. I do balance exercises and probably could sit on a dome seat but throwing and even catching would be hard.

I can't lift my feet off of the ground now so any thing like that would require a lot of help.

I think that the biggest problem for me is time, as my wife has to take me everywhere. I am willing to try and go to many places but it just frustrates her.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Barry, I live in Nottingham not far from you. I would be interested in visiting your Physio if you would be kind enough to send me contact details .
    Thanks

Hi Newbie,

My physio is called Linda and she is based at Byron House which is attached to Newark hospital. You will need to get a referral through your GP.

Why don't you come along to our Nottingham MNDA meetings which are held every 2nd Thursday. We have around 40 attendees regularly and often a guest speaker. I have just been to today's meeting and we shared a lot of helpful advice and information. We meet at 2:15 in the Mapperley Plains social club and our motto is "walk through that door" since it is sometimes scary to face up to other people when you are trying to come to terms with your own diagnosis.

Check us out at http://www.mnd-notts.org.uk/

Best wishes,
    Barry

Forum Member
    Thanks for the heads up Barry. I came to the last meeting but unfortunately couldn't make it yesterday.
    I'll introduce myself next time.

Hi Newbie,

My apologies as I should have remembered you introducing yourself at the September meeting. I hope we can meet up in November.

Best wishes,
    Barry