Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mum newly diagnosed, thinking about voice banking

Mum newly diagnosed, thinking about voice banking

Hello. Am so glad to find this forum, and grateful to everybody who posts here. Mum was diagnosed with MND a month or so ago, and she seems to have bulbar onset type, not that the consultant actually told her that.

She is anxious to bank her voice, which she feels is failing fast, and I will trawl through the forum for previous posts on the subject. Her word formation is pretty good at the moment, but the voice itself is croaky, and she gets very out of breath when talking. It's clearly a fair amount of effort to record all the phrases, say via ModelTalker; I guess the judgement is going to be is it really worth it.

Hi Pippastrelle and welcome to the forum;

Sorry to hear about your mum's very recent diagnoses and it must be so raw for you all. The fact that she wants to try shows that she has a good attitude towards making the most of life.

Sounds like she has already had advise from a speech therapist and is taking things on-board.

Some find it good and others don't like it because they expect to heard there same voice.

I think it's a great way to focus her mind and effort. The Mnda have a talking expert and he knows quite a bit about it and talking machines. They may also be able to lend you some equipment and help towards the costs.

It's best she starts as soon as possible because it works better with a goodish voice. You can't make good chips from rotten potatoes.

There is lot of good advise on previous posts but please keep us informed on what she is doing etc.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    My advice is get onto Modeltalker asap. they test the vice quality with a trial run. if they say OK get going asap. you can break it down into manageable chunks. its a total of 7 hours. You can chunk it.

Charles

Hi Pippa,

Welcome here and your mum will find lots of support from members. Please ensure that your mum uses her speech therapist to apply for a communication system, usually an iPad + speech app and then she can start recording her voice. There is a mandate for NHS to provide these systems free of charge. Don't worry if her voice is too weak as there are many other voice options.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Life is a journey, not a destination.

Thanks Terry. Yes still raw, and still sinking in.
    I'll make sure we talk to the MNDA expert and mum's speech therapist, but take your point about getting on it with it.
    Will keep you posted.
    P

Thanks Charles. 7 hours is much quicker than I thought - that sounds doable.
    P

Thanks Barry, we will follow your advice. We have a lot to learn about the other options! Mum's main concern seems to be that she won't be able to communicate when her voice goes, but clearly that need not be the case.
    P

Hello Pippastrelle my mum had Pseudo bulbar palsy my voice was recorded as a substitute as her vocal chords had already become paralysed my sister and I sounded exactly like her

Thanks Streetwise; that may well be what we do - good to know it's possible.
    P

Voice banking

Quote Originally Posted by Pippastrelle View Post
    Thanks Streetwise; that may well be what we do - good to know it's possible.
    P
    I have written a step by step, dare I say Dummyís, guide on how to voice bank using modeltalker. Itís the only product really.

Itís on my blog as part of a post

https://onein400.com/2015/10/02/even...-bank-it-asap/

There is a pdf doc, and a video of the end result

Lee