Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newly Diagnosed

Forum Member

Newly Diagnosed

Hi All

I am sorry if you have answered this a few times, any advice would be much appreciated.

Not too sure if correctly diagnosed, have had a bad ankle for 7 yrs (left leg). 3 yrs ago developed slapping gate. Nerve conductivity test in june17 came back with "suspective anterior horn cell disease"

Neurologist, without any further investigation concluded MND. I don't have any symptoms. Feel the same how I was three yrs ago (when slapping gate) developed. As I didn't buy the diagnosis, got it checked again privately (twice) with full EMG & nerve study, conclusion - siatic nerve damage (Mononeuritis) with peroneal common damage. I can relate to later as I often get discomfort in lower back and upper left leg. So my question:

Fasiculation - what are they? They same as muscle/nerve twitches? How often do they come? What areas do they come in. From fasiculation what are the next signs (to see if the condition is progressing).

Having received two completely different diagnosis - I am confused and don't know which one s true!

Regards
    Micky

Hi Micky and welcome to the forum,
    Fasiculations are normally sharp, repetitive twitches in a small part of the muscle and you can normally see it pulsing every one to two seconds. They can happen in practically any muscle. Many people who don't have Mnd have experienced a twitching below the eye and it feels a lot like that.

If you have Mnd, it is a very very slow type but I reckon that you have something else.

Do you have any Fasiculations and if so where?

Do you have any other symptoms?

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Terry

I have twitches in my legs but they only happen when I am sitting idle (guess it's because i am thinking about the diagnosis). They happen every other few minutes, never at the same place. Don't get any when walking, at gym or working.

No other symptoms. Breathing, swallowing, right leg, upper body, back, arms and hands, speech - all good.

Forum Member
    Hi Micky,
    Welcome to the forum.
    You've been through a challenging time trying to get a diagnosis.
    Terry has explained things well.
    I also agree with him - if you have MND, it's extremely slow progress.
    Hope you get a proper answer soon.
    Take care,
    Bern x

Hello Micky from what I can see from the blurb on Google,whenever I put an anterior horn cell disease ,it brings up motor neurone disease, so obviously it must affect the motor neurones the same way as it affects other motor neurone diseases , seems to affect the lower motor Neurones,that's why the neurologist is saying MND

Forum Member
    Thanks guys. The fasciculation (muscle twitches) have been there for years. I am paying attention to them now because the initial neurosurgeon pointed it out as a feature of MND! So with no other symptoms, with sciatic nerve damage (left leg), issue (slapping gate) only affected the left leg, other two diagnosis saying not mnd - what else is there (symptoms wise) to prove that I have it?

I know we are not drs and surgeon here, just trying to find out what and how ur diagnosis/symptoms differed from mine!

Forum Member
    Hi Terry

My twitches are different. I go hours (whole day) without getting any. Then I will get these dull flutters, randomly. So I am little confused. Been playing hockey for over 20 yrs, not new to muscle fatigue or flutters. Been having them randomly for yrs.

Hi Micky;

They don't sound like Mnd twitches to me. I think that ours are more violent, repetitive in the same place every second for a while, sometimes longer than a few minutes. We can go months without getting them but that varies depending on ones case.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the update Terry

My relative in Australia has a son who has spinal muscular atrophy , it is one of the motor neuron diseases, he's lived quite a few years ,he was born with this problem ,with the information that the general public has received , ALS or MND usually has a life span of five years, so the problem is if somebody is diagnosed with the disease and is one of the motor neurone diseases you go to your memory of what is MND ,what is included as motor neurone disease is quite a list