Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power wheelchair

Power wheelchair

Hi forumites,

I thought I would tell you about a power wheelchair I tested today. Some of our forum members will know I try to remain active with MNDA meetings 4 times per month and visits to members locally and in between I like to holiday. Traveling has become more of an issue lately as I need my scooter or rollator or even both. I am currently up in the north east visiting my mum and I normally come up every 6 weeks by train because it was cheaper than driving. Taxis to and from the station plus the Tyne and Wear metro has become too much of a challenge so today I loaded my scooter, rollator and crutch into the car and drove the 180 mile trip (who says Iím not prepared). On the way north I broke my journey with a stop at a major disability store to test a power wheelchair which I believe will be suitable for roving lifestyle. The powerchair folds flat and weighs only 17 kilos. It also has a unique steering system which I soon got used to after several trips around the car park.

Needless to say I am impressed and when I return home at the end of the week I only need to convince my wife that I can justify the price tag.
    http://www.zingerchair.com

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Nice to see different tech Barry,

Looks good but doesn't seem to offer much support and needs two working hands.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    That's a very cool chair Barry, especially the fact that is travels so easily because of its unique design.

If you break it to your wife gently she might agree on the price. I did the math, is comes down to approx. $175 a month that's a little under $6 a day...that's a deal if you put it to her like that

CCxox

Forum Member
    Looks really cool, Barry. Like the lightness of it and the easy moving of the foot plates.
    However, it's no good for me because my left hand is no use. Also I'd be scared I fell sideways.
    Glad CC did the maths - the daily rate looks good!
    Bern x

I think my brain is telling me “how long would I be able to operate this chair” and there is no obvious answer. I like CC’s approach but my family thinks I will give up trying to walk using my rollator.

Barry x
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi Barry

Its very possible you could operate that chair for many years to come....and you do travel a lot, it seems like that kind of chair would be sooo easy to travel with. You could use it as a just a back up plan behind your rollator when traveling, and only use when needed.

I agree with Bern the daily break down cost is not bad, but only if you feel its a worthwhile purchase, and as Terry stated can provide accurate support.

CCxox

Hi Barry;

I know my hands would still be able to operate those controls but I would have trouble with my feet and falling sideways, especially the way I drive. Also I would not be able to get in and out of the chair without a strong good handrail and could not move the chair away with one hand on the joy stick like I do to get to my walker.

How much is the UK price?

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hello Barry,

I know that earlier this year you were considering a "Wheelchair88" I was wondering how does this compare with the one that you are now looking at?

Like yourself I am looking for a lightweight chair that I can fold down and fit in the car which will give me more support than a scooter.

Cheers,

John

https://wheelchair88.co.uk/

Hi Barry,

You'll likely get good use out of that chair. It's not for someone with ALS, but with PLS, it may be a worthwhile buy.

Either way, if it improves your quality of life and it's more convenient, then why not?? You can always sell it on if it becomes unsuitable in a few years.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Hi John;

I had a little look online at the "Wheelchair88" and it seems a better in some ways. It has a normal joy stick, it has accessories such as head rests, arms and different optional footrests. Mind you, looking at the video, it looks very small, not that that's a problem for Barry.

Love Terry