Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Power wheelchair

Hi Raj;

I'm sure that that would deliver to India but.

It is quite important that you get one that fits you and possibly be serviced and altered there.

There are lots of power chairs made their, so I would be tempted to look around their first and see what's available.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Raj,

A major decision in my purchase of expensive equipment is a local supplier so if anything goes wrong I have a point of contact. I have bought items online before and if they go wrong you have a problem.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi there,

I had a demonstration today at home of a Freedom Wheelchair AO6, thinking that it might give me a bit more independent mobility for a bit longer, it is similar to the Wheelchair 88. Does anyone have one or considered getting one?

https://www.e-goes.co.uk/freedomchair-range

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John
    Last edited by John14; 26th January 2018 at 20:49.

Hi John,

It looks good for a lightweight, folding chair.

I'd just be concerned about its comfort and support; it seems to have a lowish seat back too. That said, you tried it out and must have found it to be supportive enough!

You must have slow progression if you're OK in the A06?? I'd hate you spending that much money only to discover that it wasn't comfortable or supportive enough

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi John,

Looks great but I guess you will still need a hoist to get it into your car. I have rigged up 2 Velcro straps to attach to my scooter hoist so that I can lift my power wheelchair into the boot. My chair weighs 17kg and whilst I can lift it, I feel it is not safe to do so. I am currently trying it properly as I am away for a long weekend at a Warner’s hotel resort. Haven’t run over any guests yet but there is time lol.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

I'm in the same predicament John. I am thinking about buying a foldawheel wheelchair that will gold yo go in the car. I still use a walker for short distances and hate being pushed around.

Don't forget, boys and girls, to get on the list for your "local wheelchair services" as soon as possible as they might provide something free of charge.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    I was given this advise by the OT when she discovered there was a long waiting list, Terry. Although I am still able to walk a very short distance using a stick it is obvious that this will not be for long so the WCS visited me last week. They are arranging for me to have a lightweight wheelchair for the back of the car, so I can go further afield when taken out with family and friends. They are also ordering me an in/out electric chair, that will be available when I come to need it. It is a relief to know that it is all in hand.
    Annb

Hi Annb;

It's good to get things before you really need them. Speak/contact the Mnda adviser on the subject as she might be able to help and speed things along. Going out in one of their power chairs might require a WAV type car/van but if you get a lightweight one, it can be lifted around.

The manual chair that they normally provide is not as light or fold up so well as some on the market but we found it quite good.

Love Terry

I'm following this discussion with interest. I have so much to decide at the moment that my head is spinning. I could do with a crystal ball. I'm waiting for the local wheelchair services to get in touch with me. My OT said that she'd get the ball rolling. She's going to try to get me a chair before our annual Easter holiday with lots of friends at Robin Hoods Bay North Yorkshire. It's going to take some planning this year and most likely using the local taxi service to get me back down the very steep hill. My husband is planning to drive me up and deposit me in the pub at the top and then park the car. Once he'd had a drink a taxi is the only way to get back to our cottage. I'm hoping that I'll be ok using sticks with my husbands help from the taxi drop off point to our cottage. The chair will be used on days out.