Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum

Forum Member
    Dad had his 3 month meeting Thursdy. Lost over a stone, left hand weaker and left leg too. Told to get high fat foods in..obviously getting into another stage of progression, how do we help him? Given him jobs to do with his grandson (maths and reading) howdo we cheer him up?

Hello Coco my mam just wanted to be the same as always, does he talk to you ?really talk ?what used to cheer him up ?what he like to do ?I'm autistic and people on the autism spectrum if they can use the Internet A lot !what TV programmes does he like to watch?my mam had her favourites!

Sorry to hear that Coco.

Did dad's doctor raise the subject of a feeding tube at the appointment? If he continues losing weight, it will impact negatively on his progression, unfortunately A dietitian can prescribe high calorie drinks for him - is his swallow ok? And he can add cream to mashed potatoes, soups, pastas etc or full fat coconut milk to curries and soups.

Apathy can be part of MND, I'm sorry to say. He may benefit from taking antidepressants. And, hospices can be great places for support; most offer a day per week (usually for a set number of weeks) where your dad can go for lunch, activities, physio, other therapies, nursing etc. His nurse or GP usually do the referral.

I'm sorry you're going through this Coco,

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Hi Coco;

It's probably very important that his dietitian is involved with making sure he gets the right nourishment.

If he can help his grandchildren with things, I'm sure that will help. Some of us do benefit from antidepressants, so see what he reckons.

Love Terry

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hello,
    Dad has been prescribed Amitriptyline, is it for depression? Or is it used because he walks bent double? Wiki says its a monster anti depressent, which I hope is a good thing, but is this being given because they (the medics) can see a deterioration- sorry at how cold this is, especially for those of you with this damned thing.

Yes it's used for depression anxiety muscle relaxant different disorders where there is anxiety I read quickly so I didn't see the thing about Wikipedia yes amitriptyline is addictive
    Be careful if you got to websites that are not like Wikipedia a lot of the time all they are trying to do is sell you something.
    Another one I go to is N I H which is the National Institute of health in the USA or you can go to the centre for disease control in Atlanta ,NHS choices or the Mayo Clinic ,Johns Hopkins University, you need to ask the doctor why It was prescribed over something like morphine ,ibuprofen , a SSR I maybe it's as a muscle relaxant
    Last edited by Streetwise; 14th November 2017 at 16:28.

Hi Coco,

Amitriptyline is a commonly prescribed med in MND. Yes, it is an antidepressant but also aids sleep and can cause a dry mouth, which is good for those with swallowing issues meaning saliva can't be easily swallowed, leading to pooling or drooling of excess saliva.

Btw, there are other sites with much more reliable and accurate info on meds than Wikipedia!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Forum Member
    Hello
    Mum has got attendance allowance only ( for looking after dad) will they be eligible for motability?

Hi Coco;

A lot depends on his age.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hes 72 ....