X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrewoz
    • Apr 2024

fentanyl

doctor took me off kapnol yesterday because the constipation was bad. he gave me a fentanyl 75mg patch to try , would be good to hear anyones opinions or experience with it Andrew
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Hi Andrew, me again

All opioids cause constipation, it’s a common and well-known side effect. Your doctor will know this. If you read the info leaflet in the pack of patches, it’s well flagged. This is because opioids increase the tone and decrease the propulsive contractions of the smooth muscle of the gastrointestinal tract.

Fentanyl is much stronger than morphine and is given for severe chronic pain – your dose, which is 75mcg per hour – is the equivalent of 150-205mg of oral morphine per day.

On this side of the world, doctors tend to use neuropathic analgesics mostly, and, yes, occasionally morphine or codeine, but I’ve never heard of anything as strong as fentanyl used for MND associated pain.

Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• ccinjersey

Hi Andrew

Be very careful with Fentanyl a highly addictive opiate, and much stronger then morphine as Ellie stated.

CCxx

Comment

• Andrewoz

only had patch on for 2 hours when i started to feel really weird like i was having a bad trip anxious and spaced out and couldn't breathe properly . called an ambulance and was in a&e for 6 hours . all good now won't be trying that again any time soon .. i actually felt good for first 2 hours

Comment

I was going to say before you try a T.E.N.S machine ,when I didn't have bad anxiety or panic attacks- it was almost instant relief ,no side effects from a tens machine .

Comment

• Ellie
            Forum Member
            • Oct 2012

Andrew, I'd look to change doctor if I were you. You were give a dose equating to about 10x your morphine dose, which is nothing short of irresponsible and you may have had even worse complications.
            ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• ccinjersey

I would consider changing doctors too Andrew. That doctor did more harm then good, clearly the risks outweighed the benefits he should have known this.

xox

Comment

Working...
              X