Thread: Nottingham branch

Thumbs up Nottingham branch

Hi all,

I set off nice and early for our monthly meeting this afternoon intending to stop for a sandwich on route. Disaster struck when I hit a kerb and shredded my front nearside tyre. Fortunately I was only traveling at 30 mph so I brought the car to a stop safely and called the RAC. I was a bit shaken by the situation and you all know how this affects our speech which for some of us is already compromised. The first person to answer my call was a man who probably thought it was a crank call and hung up on me. I waited 5 minutes and rang again when I was a bit calmer and a lady answered. Is it just me who thinks that women are more patient, understanding and helpful when dealing with someone with a speech impediment? Anyway after establishing where I was (somewhere in the countryside near a village cricket club) I was told that a patrol man would be with me in 90 minutes. Bang goes my lunch. Another call by same lady advising my rescuer was able to shave 30 minutes off the eta. Sure enough 1 hour after my call the patrol man turned up and 15 minutes later he had fitted the spare wheel (a rarity in many modern cars).

I got to our meeting 1 hour late just as guest speaker MP Vernon Croaker was finishing but according to my friends he had some tough questions to answer. Thereís nothing better than a room full of people with MND and their carers (48 in total) to challenge MPs.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hello I don't think it would phase my MP she could lie for Britain

Forum Member
    Oh dear, Barry - that was certainly an eventful journey. I hope you've recovered. I'm glad the MP had some challenging questions to answer!
    Bern x

Forum Member
    Oh Barry what an ordeal.

I hope you at least got to eat lunch even if you missed the question, and answer part of the meeting.

Not surprising the man hung up on you, and the woman hung on, and got help to you in record time. We women are the same in this country too, and so are the men LOL

Well done to you for getting there, and being part of the meeting, as they say 'better late than never'

xox

Hi all,

Once again the Nottingham branch came up trumps with a wonderful river boat trip on the Trent yesterday. The weather was great and 39 of us (14 with MND) enjoyed the cruise with lunch on the “Crusader”. This vessel is ideal for wheelchair access and even if it is a struggle to get ready for an event, everyone enjoyed it so it is booked again for next year.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Sounds like a perfect day out Barry.

It's great that charities like Crusader exist.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

So pleased you had a lovely trip yesterday Barry.
    I was disappointed I couldn't make it .
    Perfect weather for a sail down the Trent.

Love Helen

It was a lovely day out with good company. Steve and I look forward to it every year.

Sue x