Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow degeration and PIP recieved - what mobility car?

Slow degeration and PIP recieved - what mobility car?

I have been told that I have a slow degeneration type of MND, no further name given to it. I have just been awarded the higher rate of PIP so I'm searching for a suitable mobility car. I drive without problems. I'm a driving instructor but giving up after my last pupils test tomorrow. I am finding walking and ballancing very difficult so have fallen when getting out of my Fiesta when its in a tight space or on uneven ground. I think a vehicle that's seats sit higher up in relation to the ground would make it easier to get in and out. Does anybody have any suggestions? Also do I need to think of a vehicle that can fit a folded wheelchair to future proof it? Mobility car deals are for 3 years. I want to keep my independance for as long as possible. Any comments are welcomme. Thanks. Lynne

Please excuse. I posted my thread about a mobility car in the wrong forum Lynne

Forum Member
    Wrong forum, or not, thought I would reply.

I have a Honda Jazz. It has the ability to fit a wheelchair easily in the boot because there is no lip to lift it over. Alternatively, the back seats folds up and a wheelchair can in the large space. that is freed up. The seats are in a good position and it drives well. The Jazz is very reliable and very reasonable to insure and run, I can recommend it without reservation.

Ann

Thanks Ann. It'll be on my 'go to see' list.

Thanks Ann. It'll be on my 'go to see' list.

Hi Lynne,

I was at the same position as you 2 years ago. I researched many vehicles and tested a few on my shortlist. I wanted to fit a hoist for my scooter and be able to back onto the seat and swing my legs in. I now have a small folding power wheelchair which also fits. A number of SUV vehicles fall into the category I wanted and in the end I chose aa Audi Q3 because I have had several Audi’s over the years.

Whatever you choose opt for the hoist on your order as I had mine retro fitted and it cost £1200. Of course cost is a consideration and the more expensive vehicles will require a larger contribution but over 3 years the Motability scheme is a no brainer.

Good luck choosing and let us know how you get on.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Thanks Barry. I'll ask about a hoist when I go looking for cars. I saw some Audi's on the net and liked the look of them but the cheapest wanted £495 ish up front contribution. The other specs went up in £000s. I've mostly driven Fords of various sizes. We have a family Focus but I want independance so getting my own car. I'm waiting for a mobility brochure to drop through my letter box. I haven't recieved the confirmation letter from the PIP Dept yet. But they rang me over a week ago to say I got the higher rate. So have to wait for that letter as my proof before I go looking. Lynne

Hi Lynne,

The Motability website is very good and it has all the vehicle options listed with dimensions which are important for hoist fitting and wheelchair storage. I have friends who have a Ford Kuga which is disability friendly but I don’t know how much Motability want as up front payment.

Enjoy the experience.

Barry x
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi Lynne;

Defiantly get an automatic. I got a van (WAV) with a electric ram and had some handles put on it which was great because I could run a medium sized scooter into it and get out and drive. I still use it some 7 years later but in the back in a wheelchair with my wife driving.

Just a thought.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Anyone know any thing about the volkswagen caddy?