Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to forum: excess saliva/choking tips

New to forum: excess saliva/choking tips

Hi, I've been reading posts on and off but have had a problem posting myself, now fixed. My Dad was diagnosed 2 years ago. Dad lost movement in his arms and legs fairly rapidly and was bed bound within 6 months. He now can't speak except via eyegaze technology. He had a peg fitted back in May and is really suffering from excess saliva and choking on it. He tried one lot of medication in patch form but he had a skin reaction to it. Wondered if anyone out there has any pearls of wisdom about what might help (that he hasn't already tried: bed position/breathing exercises/feed at different times of the day/night). A suction pump to clear the saliva is proving the most helpful at the moment. Wanted to check there's nothing else helpful we're missing.

Thanks

Hi Jojo and welcome.

Has your dad tried any other meds to decrease his saliva? Glycopyrrolate or atropine drops are two that are good for heavy saliva, Kwells anti-seasick tablets work ok for some with mild saliva issues.

If all else fails, there's Botox.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Hi Jojo,
    Welcome to the forum and sorry about your Dad's diagnosis.
    The forum is a good place to come for advice.
    Thankfully Ellie had made some suggestions.
    Bern x

I am having some problems with saliva and mucus over the last month I've been given mucodine and doesn't seem to help as it is getting worse therefore also interested in ideas to help

What my mam did is hold kitchen towel at the front of her mouth so it soaked up the saliva she went to Newcastle General Hospital to have radiology treatment to dry up her mucus but it burnt her mouth so she stopped

Hi Jojo and welcome to the forum;

I have heard that all of Ellie's suggestions have worked, for some people.

If he can drink or sip, some juices and other things can help to break it down.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Rumba,

Mucus and saliva cause us different issues and meds for one problem can exacerbate the other Getting the right balance can take time.

Mucodyne acts on mucus, thinning it and reducing production, but may make saliva worse. Meds for reducing mucus often thicken mucus.

Is the Mucodyne having any impact on the mucus? There are alternatives.

Do you take anything for saliva?

Do you drink enough water? 1500mls+/day helps thin mucus secretions.

Some people find reducing dairy intake helps reduce mucus production.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Thanks for these suggestions. He doesn't take anything orally now, all through the peg. But he's going to try the mucodene or similar so will let you know how it goes.

Hope you get some relief JoJo,

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

The Mucodyne has made things worse, he feels like he can't clear anything and it's making him distressed. Have others found this? So difficult to know how to help him but stopping the medicine and will see if things improve.