Dismissal from work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dismissal from work

I'm in the middle of a meeting at work. I've been off sick since May. I had a medical assessment and Dr declared me unfit to return to work. They want to dismiss me under incapability. I know I've only been there 4 years but disappointed that they won't give me any severence pay. Do you agree?
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Sorry to hear this Pink. I wonder if the MND Helpline could help you? Or Citizen's Advice? x
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Bern
      Forum Member
      • May 2017

Hi Pink,
      I'm sure you should be due something. Do you have anyone representing you?
      My daughter was made redundant after her firm relocated. She had worked with them for just over 4 years and she certainly got redundancy. That was in Scotland.
      Sorry I can't be of more help.
      Bern x

Comment

• Barry52
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2012

Hi Pink,

If you are still able to perform your role and wish to continue then your employer should make adjustments to enable this. They could also offer a role more suitable to your ability. This is linked to the disability act.

If you have indicated through your doctor’s letter that you are unfit to work then they can dismiss you but you should be entitled to statutory pay of 1 week earnings for every year worked.

Best wishes,
        Barry
        I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• ccinjersey

Good luck to you Pink, I hope you get all the benefits you are entitled to for the service you have given them.

CCxox

Comment

Nah they just told my boss to hurry up and get it wrapped up!! Charming!! I know I'm incapable of doing my job now but a goodwill gesture for my service would have been nice. Hey ho! Won't lose sleep over it. I presume I can contact dwp to put in a claim for ESA if I tell them my last day of notice period?

Comment

• John14
              Forum Member
              • Apr 2015

Hi Pink,

If you have a work pension there may be a provision to have it paid early and in full if you have to leave your employment on health grounds this happened to me a couple of years ago.

Best wishes,

John

Comment

Yes John I'm able to get my pension which is a relief. It's not that much though as it's only 4 years worth

Comment

You would be paid employment and support allowance based on when you think you became incapable of work, not necessarily on the last day of work,especially with a progressive disease like motor neurone disease it will be fast tracked, however long that means to the DWP,now you can answer their mind numbing questions over the phone or online, instead of having your mind numbed by 50 pages of questions.
                  I still can't believe government departments don't talk to each other I just cannot understand that

Comment

That's helpful streetwise. I'll give them a ring then on Monday. Thought id have to wait until my official last day of employment!

Comment

Just remembered apply for personal Independence payment if you haven't already ,the people who work for the DWP live in another world, so I wont say for definite how long it will take and please God if you were an area where i barely want to say this word universal credit is now been operated make sure you know if they've completed your application .
                      And know this department at the DWP don't talk to each other ever !so if you ever have a problem with your benefits make sure you tell each department

Comment

Working...
                      X