Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet Room Help

Wet Room Help

Hi

We are looking to convert our garage to a wetroom and bedroom area. We have been through the disabled facilities grant route with a view to getting some sort of contribution. Obviously this was unsuccessful as i am still working and therefore would have to contribute more than the top 30k. We obviously knew this may be the case but what we cannot understand is that no-one will give us any technical advice. Clearly we have not been through this before so we want to get it right first time. What we thought we would get is: -

1. Minimum size of room required
    2. Spacing of shower, toilet and sink
    3. Grab rail requirements
    4. Details of do's and don'ts

Any advice would be gratefully received

Christoff

Hi Christoff

Your Occupational Therapist (OT) should be able to answer questions about the adaptations. Even if they aren't providing the equipment, they would be able to advise on what you need and what your requirements are. We always suggest that the OT is involved throughout any adaptations so that they can advise and signpost as needed.

We do have the MND Support Grant which can be used towards the cost of adaptations. It is limited funding so any grant given would most likely only be a contribution towards a piece of equipment. If this is useful, your OT would need to apply for the grant on your behalf. The application form and more information about our grants can be found on our website here https://www.mndassociation.org/getti...ople-with-mnd/

Please do feel free to pass our telephone number (0808 802 6262) on to the OT and we'd be happy to talk through the grants with them and answer any questions that they may have.

Best Wishes

Rachel

Rachel

Many thanks for your response, the problem is we have had an OT round and they offered absolutely no advice whatsoever. I understand that the association can offer some equipment as required and we may look into this

Regards

Chris

Forum Member
    Hi Chris,
    We used a firm called Easibathe. They planned the wetroom and then we showed the plans to the OT, in case there was anything we'd missed.
    Maybe ask your OT if she'd be happy to do that.
    Bern

Hi Chris

I am sorry that the OT didn't offer any advice. We are always happy to speak to health and social care professionals on behalf of someone with MND. If you think that this would be helpful then please do send us a private message or email us at mndconnect@mndassociation.org

Best wishes

Rachel

Hi Chris
    I'm going through the same process. Still working so no financial support but they offered to project manage for 10% of the cost of the work !!! (I declined their kind offer )
    So we have employed a builder we know. OT has been round to meet with the builder and has made suggestions that we were already aware of. eg. Door widths to allow access of wheelchair, joist strengthening to allow for ceiling hoist to be fitted, clear route through into room and then through into wet room, toilet position for ease of use. You'll need building regs too. We found a local company who charged 240 (local council would be a lot more). OT said some funding should be available for various bits. I want to have a shower toilet seat to make life a little easier for my wife who will be caring for me so will need power supply within reach.

The OT did offer to draw up the plans using some software package she has but we've not received anything yet so are just moving ahead with it.

Hope some of this is useful to you in some way.

Andy

Forum Member
    I'm interested in this discussion because I have had a recent slow degeneration MND diagnosis. Please excuse if you have read my previous posts so you know this. I bought suction grab rails from Amazon a few months ago to help me in the our over the bath shower. I took one of them on holiday with us but it wouldn't stick to the wall with the type of tiles that were there. We have a modest home with our bathroom over the stairway (it took part of the front bedroom too. This was done before we moved in). There is 4 steps up to the bathroom and nowhere else in the house where we could make a suitable wet room. I'm lucky that my MND is slow so we'll have some time to work out the best thing to do with the help of my OT. I'll be meeting some of my care team in just over 3 weeks time. A wet room can be done on our raised wooden bathroom floor, but the steps will eventually be a problem. Thanks for all of the information. Lynne
    Last edited by Lynne K; 20th November 2017 at 18:51. Reason: typo

Andy B - thanks for the information, i am surprised you had to pay for building regulations as it is a disabled adaptation and these ought to be waived. We too had the kind offer of 10% to project manage and we too respectfully told them to go forth and multiply. I don't think we are asking too much to have a bit of technical assistance but it seems to be the way of the council/local government.

We have an architect coming round tomorrow for initial designs and drawings. As it is an integral garage conversion it will not be perfect but we have adequate access to one side of the bed position and an uninterrupted path to the wet room. The wet room looks as though it can be configured to have a turning circle of 1200mm for a wheelchair.

I shall keep you all posted on progress

When we changed our shower/bathroom into a wet room our OT gave us a list of local builders who undertook this kind of work for the council. We got in touch with one and we where happy with him and they carried out all the work for us.
    Sue

Forum Member

Vat

Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    Andy B - thanks for the information, i am surprised you had to pay for building regulations as it is a disabled adaptation and these ought to be waived. We too had the kind offer of 10% to project manage and we too respectfully told them to go forth and multiply. I don't think we are asking too much to have a bit of technical assistance but it seems to be the way of the council/local government.

We have an architect coming round tomorrow for initial designs and drawings. As it is an integral garage conversion it will not be perfect but we have adequate access to one side of the bed position and an uninterrupted path to the wet room. The wet room looks as though it can be configured to have a turning circle of 1200mm for a wheelchair.

I shall keep you all posted on progress
    Don't forget to ask about zero VAT. It is a complex area but can reduce the cost considerably.
    Ann