Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wash and Dry Toilets - Do they work?

Wash and Dry Toilets - Do they work?

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a Wash and Toilet. They're expensive, so I'd be interested in the opinion of people who've actually used them - do they work?

I'm a bit sceptical because when you wash your hands you don't just rinse them under the tap.

Also how do the ones that consist of just a add-on toilet seat (bidet seats) compare to the full toilet, like Geberit & Clos o Mat? Does anyone know of any reliable second hand sources?

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes they work, you'll be squeaky clean and yes, they are worth the money. Money can buy dignity, whatever about happiness!

I've used a Closomat and a bidet seat, both of which did the job.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Hi Richard,

Whilst I don’t have a wash and dry toilet I have, following research, decided which one I will buy as my hands are becoming weaker. My son lives in Japan and we have been several times. These toilets are common place in many hotels and they do work. One positive note is that it will save you on toilet paper but even in an average life span I don’t think you would recover the investment, however think of the ecological impact.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi Richard;

I have had two Bio Bidet 1000 seats in six year and the second one is now a year old. I would not be without it and it does a great job.

I've no doubt that a purpose made loo is slightly better for some people as the nozzle probably travels further and the seat is probably bigger.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Thanks Ellie, Barry & Terry.

Richard

Anybody got a gerberit toilet? . I'm having one of these fitted when my wet room is done

Bet it's made in china

Just been on web sight they look very stylish all mounted on a frame great for fixing to wall and German . All spare parts are freely available well big list with prices on site . I would be amazed if it was not brilliant

Forum Member
    Hi Pink,

I fitted an AquaClean Care 8000 last year and would recommend it with reservations. The company is Swiss with factories there and in Germany and China, Kevin is right they do look very stylish which is why I opted for it instead of the alternative a Closomat. I cannot tell which is better as I've only tried the Geberit. I was expecting it to be 100% reliable but have had two issues with it.

Firstly it stopped working altogether and it was suspected that a fuse had blown, an engineer attended quite quickly and found that the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) had failed, he said that this was most unusual and replaced free of charge. Although this fault disabled the wash & dry facility it did not affect the flush and I was able to carry on using it. More recently the remote control failed and after sending back heard that it too was faulty and will be replaced free of charge under guarantee. This time I was able to continue using it as it has controls on the side for the basic functions.

When you have the toilet fitted be aware that it can be set to various heights this means that you can have it at a level which makes it easier for you to get on and off and may be higher than a standard WC.

The wash cycle runs for about 30 seconds of warm water this is probably sufficient but I have read here of people who have fitted a Closomat with a mixer valve to feed hot and cold water to the toilet, I'm not sure if the Geberit is able to do this,

Make sure that you order the Care model this is a little less stylish than the general range and comes with no seat, the reason for this is that it is incredibly strong, it will withstand someone who is not able to weight bear very well crashing down on it, I know because I have done it. If you want a seat it is available at about £200 and you will lose the strength of the seat so we did'nt bother.

The MNDA will consider making a grant of up to £1,000 if an application is made by your OT but I expect that you know this anyway.

I was able to find a pair of 800mm Pressalit hinged arms to mount either side of the WC, I was able to find these on E Bay for not very much money, Pressalit is the RR of care bathrooms and adds a useful touch as you will see in the photo attached. The basin is by them and is height adjustable and will bear my full weight I thought this might be necessary but really a standard basin well fitted is all you really need.

I can say that despite the teething troubles this was one of the better buys I have made and that a washer dryer WC is an essential for me and I would recommend the Geberit.

All the best,

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John14; 5th December 2017 at 16:26.

Hi John,

Not impressed with two separate faults on the Gerberit in the first year.

I hope it is faultless for the next five.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.