Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Wash and Dry Toilets - Do they work?

You're right Ellie, who needs Nick! It's lovely I've had so much support and help.

Forum Member
    Hi Ellie,
    Got it on my list for the OT.
    Can't believe I'm asking for one .......
    Bern x

Right back at ya!!

Next you'll have to get used to weeing in the basin!!! Top tip - put some water in the basin first so it isn't so loud, then go with the flow

Oh boy, you just have to laugh don't you, otherwise you'd cry.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    You do indeed!
    I often say if we didn't laugh we'd cry.
    I'm just getting so exhausted going back and forth to the loo upstairs.
    Bern x

Hi Ellie
    I walk very slowly with my rollator to the chair lift. Then I use another rollator upstairs to take me to the bathroom. It's a bit of a trek
    I have my wheelchair assessment in 10 days time .

Yes Helen, that sounds like an ordeal indeed - it must tire you out

That wheelchair assessment can't come soon enough for you. If you've help at home would you consider using a manual wheelchair as a short-term measure? If one can't be provided for you, the Red Cross might lend you one.

You might also think about getting a commode for downstairs from the OT to use on a short-term basis until you get your powerchair. We're all agreed that it's not a preferred solution, but if it conserves your precious energy, it's worth thinking about (even to have "just in case")

You mentioned the turner too - if you can weight bear, turntables are great to transfer from chair to chair/bed/loo/commode if you can no longer shuffle or move your feet. Another person needs to assist with this type of transfer. Often OTs move straight to hoist transfers even though many people can do turntable transfers, which are much quicker, less of a palaver and give more of a feeling of "independence" to the user!

Ellie x.

Thanks Ellie for the info. I'm feeling rather overwhelmed by it all today. It's just two years since my diagnosis and it seems to hit me as hard as ever today .
    We should have upped sticks and moved to more practical accommodation but I couldn't or wouldn't anticipate my future needs.
    I don't have help during the day only friends stopping by.not sure if I could manage a wheelchair on my own as I doubt I would be able to get up from it.
    I'm managing, probably good for me to keep moving.
    Hope you're doing ok and had a good weekend x

I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed Helen. It does that all right - just when you think you're coping well, MND reminds you it has invaded your life and bites in the you know what!!

Moving house is so difficult to contemplate for many different reasons - for me the biggest of which is the emotional pull; the memories, happiness, the place where the "old me" lived and, of course, the kids. It's not easy to know what lies ahead of you so you're spot on by saying you couldn't anticipate your future needs. We all know in theory what our needs are likely to be but in practice, we kind of need to experience the loss of function before we really know where we are.

Keep moving...

Love Ellie.

Ps. Thanks, I'm keeping well. Only 20 days to go until the clocks change = brighter evenings

Hi Helen;

Getting in and out of a wheelchair can be a big problem, I have to find a rail that I can drive up to to pull myself in and out of some wheelchairs. If you arms and legs are still quite good a long horizontal rail over an inch in diameter and nearly two foot long at a bit over waist height could be the answer to transfer to your walker.

I used to use the stand turner but it takes a bit for someone to hold it.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Ali, great minds think a like, I couldn't agree more with you. I've lived in my house for 18 years with my husband and my three children have grown up here so many happy memories.
    I'm very lucky in that one of my daughters lives just down the road with my little grandson so moving now isn't really an option.
    Yes spring is in the air,loving the lighter evenings.