Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The sense of taste.

The sense of taste.

My sense of taste is not functioning properly. The flavors in food cannot be tasted since last two months. (impaired taste or diminished sense of taste). Does anyone know or feel this, friends?

Are you taking any medication Raj?
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Ellie, only vitamins and supplements.

Hi Raj,

ALS/MND isn’t associated with changes to the senses, but some people do reportedly find a change in their taste.

This could be down to a lack of saliva actively in the mouth and being swallowed, a change in dental hygiene or a side effect of medication/supplements/vitamins.

If you are particularly concerned, tell your doctor.

Ellie.

Hi Raj;

My and others with Mnd do find that their taste changes. Most things taste much the same to me as they used too but I do find many fruit juices too sharp where normal people can drink them fine. This happened quite early on after diagnoses. I pull all sorts of funny faces if I drink most juices and at Mnd meetings, I see some of the others do the same.

I think that others have found that they don't taste so much in the past.

Do you take "Riluzole".

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

I'm interested in this discussion but I'm not quite the same. I have gone off porridge with maple syrup that I had every morning for about 3 years. I don't fancy other sweet food. I don't fancy chocolate or even enjoy a glass od red wine or whisky that I did, not frequently but regular enough. My taste buds seem to have changed. I'm favouring savoury food so my breakfast choice the last couple of weeks has been scrambled egg on toast, occassionally with smoked salmon (when my lovely hubby decides to treat me). Has anybodies tastes changed in this way?

Hi Lynne,

I see you take Riluzole - there is some evidence that Riluzole can affect taste in some people, as well as salivary issues.

Maybe that explains it?? Or it could be unrelated!!

Love Ellie.
    Last edited by Ellie; 12th January 2018 at 22:47.

Thanks Ellie

Forum Member
    Hi,
    My husband has come off riluzole because it affected his taste. He was taking it for about a year. Since stopping, it has taken about a month to get his taste back. Like you Lynne he went off his favourite foods and sweet things. This doesn't mean that he won't start the riluzole again. Also, he had an incredibly runny nose and that has all cleared up too. Because he had no taste, he was off his food and lost a lot of weight. He is now eating smaller regular meals along with fortisip. Hopefully things will settle down again. He doesn't need big meals because he is not moving around so much but he needs to keep his weight up.
    Best wishes Fru xx

Dear Terry,
    No. I did not take Riluzole. I h read about it. It is to help extention of the terminal days for 2-3 months.? I don't know much about it. Please tell me what kind of improvement this medication can make in mnd/als symptoms.?
    Last edited by Raj; 13th January 2018 at 04:19.