• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    Forum Member
    • May 2012

Hi Cambridgeshire People;

I like spicy food too, rice can be a problem if it's light and fluffy. I tend to get it over cooked or/and put coconut oil on it to make it heaver and easier to mix and swallow. You can get coconut oil that does not taste much of coconut.

Doubt that I'll make the next meeting, when is it?

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Fru
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2016

Hi Terry,
      On my card it says that the next Cambridge meeting is Thursday 15th Feb. It's always good to see now familiar faces and new ones too.
      Ed saved some of his curry to have for lunch tomorrow or Monday. Not eating huge meals. Had another fall today but is using his rollator a lot now. He is also good at getting up off the floor. Knees last week, arm today.
      Love Joy xx

Comment

• Rick

Hi Raj,
        I've been talking Riluzole for just over 6 weeks now. So far my tastebuds seem fine. After a week or so I had a few really good days. I don't know if it was due to the Riluzole or not though.

Fru is 100% right about weight. You can't stop the muscle wastage but you can keep fat on. I had no appetite for 2 weeks and was losing weight. My appetite returned and I'm eating normally. I'm maintaining my weight for now.

You're right on the Riluzole. It can extend your life 2-3 months. You have to get regular blood tests though to check your liver isn't being damage. Unfortunately at present there is nothing that will make you better. Riluzole can only slow it down slightly.

Rick

Comment

• Ellie
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2012

Hi Terry,

I've given up on rice - too dangerous - but rice noodles are good with a curry or a stir fry. You could try them maybe?

Love Ellie.
          ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user
          ​

Comment

• Terry
            Forum Member
            • May 2012

Yep, I do have rice noodles with meatballs or sometimes we use tagliatelle. We tend to over cook pastas as well to make them easier to eat.

Glad to hear that you can still enjoy eating a bit.

Love Terry
            TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Wife of Jim

Raj , my husband can't stand spicy or sour foods anymore. He loved hot sauce , mustard and pickles.He would gag and his eyes water.Now he eat soft bland food, but it take's a long while to eat anything.So glad we have the feeding tube now. he takes all of his water and meds with the peg.All the best to everyone here.

Comment

• Dis1960
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2018

Pre-MND I loved making/eating hot curries ( favourite was a chicken phall based on a Pat Chapman recipe )

Now I cannot stand to eat a jalfrezi

Something has changed and I strongly suspect MND is behind it

Comment

• Lynne K
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2017

I went off sweet things including cake, chocolate and most biscuits since MND. I thought that it is caused by rilozone. I still enjoy curries, hot, but not too hot and medium. My favourites are chicken saag balti, and others that I cannot remember the names of. Lynne
                  ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Dis1960
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2018

Could it be a combination of the tongue shrinking AND sometimes biting the tongue during sneezing?

Comment

• Gillette
                      Forum Member
                      • Mar 2019

I was a real chocoholic but now I don't eat much chocolate at all. In fact, my consumption of chocolate had been reducing for a few months before diagnosis. I find that I'm eating more savoury snacks.
                      Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

• Lynne K
                        Forum Member
                        • Nov 2017

Hi Dis, I don't think a shrinking tongue has anything to do with it, well at least in my case. It's something between my taste buds and my brain that have changed. But I really enjoy my savouries. I've always favoured veg and protein (fish or meat) over puddings, but I used to regularly have a pudding on Sundays ie apple pie. That's very seldom now. Lynne
                        Last edited by Lynne K; 30 April 2019, 10:22.
                        ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

I don't have motoneuron disease but I had an infection 12 years ago and since that time everything has changed in flavour from what I can gather it's because of starvation, I lost too much weight to quickly and the infection reached my brain !and I had some Brain damage, in the first few months after the infection everything tasted like tomato! from what I can understand it means I was deficient in potassium or it tasted like sunflower oil,my sense of taste is still impaired after 12 years i'm saying this but just because I remembered, I have no way of knowing how it would impact somebody with motor neurone disease, my mother tried the grape cure diet and it worked and cured dysentery it appears that if you eat just raw food it clears out the toxins you can do it for a day which is probably best if you are very weak my mother did it for longer than that

Comment

• Devonmaid
                            Forum Member
                            • Feb 2018

My husband's lost his sense of taste a few years before his diagnosis or any symptoms. His taste has changed since having MND. He never had a sweet tooth but now doesn't really like savoury things and would eat something sweet for most meals if he could. I saw some research this week that said older people who lost their sense of taste are much more likely to die within a short time than others and they think it may be due to some underlying health problem that has not been found yet.

Comment

Working...
                            X