Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The sense of taste.

Forum Member
    Raj , my husband can't stand spicy or sour foods anymore. He loved hot sauce , mustard and pickles.He would gag and his eyes water.Now he eat soft bland food, but it take's a long while to eat anything.So glad we have the feeding tube now. he takes all of his water and meds with the peg.All the best to everyone here.

Forum Member
    Pre-MND I loved making/eating hot curries ( favourite was a chicken phall based on a Pat Chapman recipe )

Now I cannot stand to eat a jalfrezi

Something has changed and I strongly suspect MND is behind it

I went off sweet things including cake, chocolate and most biscuits since MND. I thought that it is caused by rilozone. I still enjoy curries, hot, but not too hot and medium. My favourites are chicken saag balti, and others that I cannot remember the names of. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    Could it be a combination of the tongue shrinking AND sometimes biting the tongue during sneezing?

I was a real chocoholic but now I don't eat much chocolate at all. In fact, my consumption of chocolate had been reducing for a few months before diagnosis. I find that I'm eating more savoury snacks.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Hi Dis, I don't think a shrinking tongue has anything to do with it, well at least in my case. It's something between my taste buds and my brain that have changed. But I really enjoy my savouries. I've always favoured veg and protein (fish or meat) over puddings, but I used to regularly have a pudding on Sundays ie apple pie. That's very seldom now. Lynne
    Last edited by Lynne K; 30th April 2019 at 11:22.
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

I don't have motoneuron disease but I had an infection 12 years ago and since that time everything has changed in flavour from what I can gather it's because of starvation, I lost too much weight to quickly and the infection reached my brain !and I had some Brain damage, in the first few months after the infection everything tasted like tomato! from what I can understand it means I was deficient in potassium or it tasted like sunflower oil,my sense of taste is still impaired after 12 years i'm saying this but just because I remembered, I have no way of knowing how it would impact somebody with motor neurone disease, my mother tried the grape cure diet and it worked and cured dysentery it appears that if you eat just raw food it clears out the toxins you can do it for a day which is probably best if you are very weak my mother did it for longer than that

Forum Member
    My husband's lost his sense of taste a few years before his diagnosis or any symptoms. His taste has changed since having MND. He never had a sweet tooth but now doesn't really like savoury things and would eat something sweet for most meals if he could. I saw some research this week that said older people who lost their sense of taste are much more likely to die within a short time than others and they think it may be due to some underlying health problem that has not been found yet.