Thread: Mnd/als medicine

Mnd/als medicine

Hello friends,
    Is there any medicine for slowing rate of progression of MND/ALS?. How Riluzole help?

Research for cure

Millions of articles are there in the internet. Browsing through these sites is not easy for me due to the fact that I am not able to sit in front of my computer for a long time. I heard that some researches are going on and trials are being carried out on a regular basis. Do anyone have any idea about the subject? Does Riluzole will help me in reducing my severity of symptoms?

Quote Originally Posted by Raj View Post
    Does Riluzole will help me in reducing my severity of symptoms?
    What symptoms do you have Raj?
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Hi Raj;

I don't think it helps a lot with symptoms, it slows the progression by a little bit.

This is cut off of the Mnda web site:-

Riluzole is the only drug to be licensed for the treatment of MND in the UK and approved for use by the NHS.

It is not a cure for MND, but is the only medicine available in the UK to show a modest impact on survival for people with MND, where suitable.

Glutamate (a chemical messenger in the central nervous system) can cause nerve damage if produced in excess. Riluzole is thought to work by reducing glutamate activity.

See more details and how to access this drug in information sheet 5A Riluzole.

A technology appraisal is an assessment of whether a medicine or therapy is effective by NICE (the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence). Technology appraisal Riluzole (TA20) recommends that riluzole should be used with MND. The recommendation covers England and Wales, but NICE recommendations are often taken into account in Northern Ireland and elsewhere.

Researchers continue to investigate other drugs in the laboratory and through clinical trials, with the help of people living with MND.

And here is a link to the "Information sheet":- https://www.mndassociation.org/wp-co...a-riluzole.pdf

If you get problems down loading it let us know. It would be nice to know your thoughts on it. Also if you intend to buy there are different brands and I prefer some.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Thanks for the update Terry, no problem. I will download it. Once again thanks..

I see a world on the edge of a blade. Without balance, it will fall.