Thread: Anyone have problems with increased mucus when using patches for saliva control

Anyone have problems with increased mucus when using patches for saliva control

I was prescribed patches to control excessive saliva but I have found the mucus in my throat has got thicker are the 2 linked

Yes unfortunately decreasing saliva often results in creating thicker mucus because it isn't being diluted.

As a first possible solution, try increasing your intake of water - aim for 1500mls - and see if that makes a difference.

Notwithstanding the mucus issue, are you happy with how the patch (hyoscine??) is working in decreasing the amount of saliva you're producing? Is your mouth now too dry?

Ellie x.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    I ude the patches, however they have me in a Catch 22 situation. Use them, no matter how much and where i site them, always dry me out making inpossible to eat and drink. Not use them and saliva plays havoc with everthing I do.

Pete Try half. Dude

Forum Member
    I've tried all combinations, halves, different areas

Half day ?.

Pete, have you tried any other meds to dry up saliva? There are alternatives; if one doesn't suit you, try another.

Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.