Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swollen Feet.

Swollen Feet.

Seems to be a common problem with the ALS form of MND. Has anyone out there had experience of the use of intermittent pneumatic compression devices (as used to prevent post operative DVT) to alleviate the edema?
    I have reached the stage where any attempt at excercise is futile and the swelling does not reduce overnight.

Forum Member
    Hi, my feet were swelling badly, particularly on the left foot which is my weaker side.
    I now have a profiling bed and raise the foot of it and it's made a remarkable difference.
    I think technically the feet have to be higher than the heart to reduce swelling so bed is probably the only place it can be done.
    Sorry no experience of any devices.
    Hope you get some relief soon.

Bern

Hello Bern. Thanks for the reply. I've had a profiling bed and used it as suggested since September. It had the desired effect up to Christmas but has not worked since then. Dr. says it is 'normal' with ALS due to loss of leg muscles and lack of movement and has made the suggestion of flight socks. Just thought something which actually helped the blood flow might do the trick. WBW Keith.

Hi Keith,

I knew a lady who used those fancy devices with good results - they're big knee-high things, but she found them comfortable to wear. She wore them only for a short enough time, 2 or 3x a day.

Those white "hospital stockings" did nothing for her swelling.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Ellie. That's useful info. Thankyou.
    At the moment I'm trying to assess whether they are worth the expense of buying them myself.
    Keith x

Hi Keith;

I have often thought about then and bought a very cheep set from china but my feet and ankles are really to big for them. I know Cc's could add to this conversation.

Make sure that they fit you and maybe adjustable. Ask your OT if she knows of any that you can trial or maybe ring firms and see if they will do sale and return if not any good.

Keep us updated on any things.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Cheers Terry. I will certainly do that if I get some and they work. It would be nice to have feet which were not red/purple again! WBW Keith x

Sorry Keith;

Sequential air compression leg massager blood lymphatic circulation recovery system

You could look at this one :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Healthcar....c100005.m1851

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Keith

My dear friend uses the compression boots when in bed and they help her a lot with swelling. Also the compression stockings that look like long socks helps a lot when she is out and about.

Good luck to you, I hope you find what works best for you.

CCxox

Thanks CC. I will discuss with my MND nurse next time I see her. It seems they would be if benefit . Keith x