Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dentist

Forum Member

Dentist

Hi all,
    Went to Dentist today - am still walking but wondered what happens when Iím in a wheelchair- is it off to the Hospital or can Dentist adapt and do me in the wheelchair?
    Thanks
    Karl

Forum Member
    Hi Karl,

Best ask your dentist. I can't easily get into the dentist's chair so he's just referred me to the community dentist which is based in hospital. They have the option of a hoist.

Bern

Hi Karen,

Most of the power chairs that we have done recline quite a bit so you might be able to use the same dentist.

There are special dentist places that you can stay in your chair as well, I don't know if they strap the chair in and tilt it back.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Karl,

I've transferred, with assistance, from my wheelchair into the dentist's chair quite smoothly - the armrest of dentist's chair raised and the seat coverings are nice and slippy which helps. Actually, my biggest issue was trying to cope with the water spray, but we soon stopped that!

I'm very lucky now as my dentist does home visits and reclining my backrest fully is good enough for him.

As Bern said, ask your dentist if the surgery can accommodate wheelchair users, and how. Maybe the room is big enough for a power chair too?

Ellie x.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Karl, I have Salsa M2 wheelchair it reclines and raises and good neck support. My Dentist bit difficult to get into but now at local NHS Dentist and they think the chair very good. I find it very comfortable as had a new seat cushion which is plastic air filled. Best wishes John

Hi Karl
    I was at the dentist before Christmas. Like you I'm still walking but I asked the dentist if I'd still be able to go there when I'm in a wheelchair. She told me not to worry as they would help transfer me from my wheelchair. I'm sure they must have other wheelchair patients so I trust them to cope. Time will tell.

Andy

I have been to the dentist 3 times in as many months. Last visit I jokingly said I was applying for a season ticket. I can get into the chair but the issue is reclining and gagging with the water suction. Make sure you advise your dentist of the issues with swallowing and they should not recline so much.

I think it’s an age thing that my teeth are giving up in unison and I am considering having them all removed.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    My dentist has this amazing chair which can stand you up a long way with a swivel arm so transfer to wheelchair was easy if you can weight bear.
    Love Roadahead x

Another abscess so now on antibiotics and painkillers. An extraction due in 3 weeks and I am getting to the point where I have no molars to chew with. I know many of you have feeding tubes or purťed food so I shouldn’t complain but I hate going to the dentist.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Any idea what causes the abscesses Barry? I've heard they're nasty things, so you have my sympathies.

I guess the 3 week wait is to clear the abscess?

Next step false gnashers

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.