Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone done long haul flights of 11 to 13 hours ?

Has anyone done long haul flights of 11 to 13 hours ?

Hi all,

Has anyone travelled on long haul flights, my other half is Sri Lankan and we would like to go and visit his family while I am still fit enough to do so but, I can see a few problems. I would just about manage to the toilet with help if I was allocated a seat nearby but also would need help in the toilet as sometimes I struggle with clothing when my hands are weak. The toilets tend to be tiny not sure if 2 adults would fit in them, has anyone had a similar problem if so any suggestions?

My breathing & lung function were normal at last appointment in January so hopefully that shouldn't cause a problem.

If I want to take my small power chair with me would I be able to use it up to seat then it could be stored somewhere so I could have use of it when we arrived?

Rumba
    Last edited by Rumba; 23rd February 2017 at 11:24.

Forum Member
    Hello Rumba...I have just returned from New Zealand which I managed ok. However I did travel business class and I can still just walk with two crutches. One leg of my trip was with Singapore Airlines which did have an extra large toilet which could take two people which would enable someone to help you. I hope you manage to go...it such a distraction from this awful disease.I had a wonderful time!

Hi Andrea,

You have to check withe the individual airline re special assistance but power chairs are generally not permitted inside the aircraft, but are stowed in the hold for safety reasons.

They provide a narrow manual wheelchair to get you from the aircraft door to your seat. Larger, wide-bodied aircraft often have bigger disabled toilets.

Do your research before booking and think about going via Middle East if you prefer 2 shorter flights rather than 1 long flight.

Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Rumba,

I did 12 hours from Tokyo last autumn and chose seats near the toilets. The airline-airport will transfer you to your seat in their own wheelchair and as Ellie has said the larger aircraft used for long haul have bigger toilets. Make sure you do some stretching exercises to avoid cramps.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hello all

My first post on the forum!

I was diagnosed with MND last Feb, currently affecting my lower motor neurons. Can walk short distances with a rollator. I am hoping to go the US in the autumn to visit family. I am wondering about a very practical issue- how one accesses the toilets if wheelchair reliant. I assume airlines may have wheelchairs on the plane for that sort of thing? I will check with the airline beforehand but would be keen to hear about people's real life experience.

I am aware of and have used the special assistance at the airport.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Esperanza, sorry you’ve had the diagnosis.

Good for you planning a trip!

People’s experiences differ depending on which airline, route and aircraft type they flew. So, the best thing to do is to check which airlines fly your route and then check which aircraft they use. Look on their websites. Does the aircraft have:
    ∑ An on-board wheelchair? Most long-haul routes do but don't assume. Crew will assist you to/from toilet door only.
    ∑ An accessible/partially accessible toilet.? Often the wide-bodied Airbus aircraft have better facilities, but it differs between airlines. This may not be important for you personally.

If you’re travelling alone, most airlines require you to be able to evacuate the aircraft independently in an emergency situation, or you may need a travelling companion. (which is why you need to check out your route)

Other points to note are insurance (vital for the U.S. and be prepared for a shock at the cost ), breathing ability and progression (you seem to have fairly slow progression??)

Ellie x.

Hi Esperanza, and welcome to the forum;

Insurance for America is normally double that of most other places. Do you and Ellie mean that they allow you to stay in a wheelchair in the plane. I am not aware of that but they will normally carry a wheelchair or scooter in the hold.

Loo's can be a problem for us, it is easier for a man but I wondered if you could get a temporary catheter type thing that you could do yourselves.

Hope you manage to get out there.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thank you both.

Not sure about progression of illness, haven't been given a 'type' yet either. Will see how things ago.

I will check with the airline, I meant if the airline carries a wheelchair on board or people unable to walk to the toilet. I am not at that stage yet but wanted to know how people manage that sort of thing.

Hi Esperanza,

Yes, the "on-board wheelchair" is available to use in-flight from your seat to the toilet door.

They are fairly narrow as they have to fit in the aisles. I've used them in the past.

Ellie x.

Thanks Chimp;

I never knew that.

Love, The Cat
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.