Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help to buy WAV when your over 65yrs old

Forum Member

Help to buy WAV when your over 65yrs old

Hi All, I'm trying to find out if there is any help out there for buying a WAV when your over 65. I find it terrible that if you get ill and need a wheelchair once your over 65 you can't use the motability scheme because your too old to get the right benefit to qualify. My mother is 73 and has been diagnosed with MND and I'm trying to find out what help she and my father could get to buy a wav once she is in a wheel chair.
    It seems that if your over 65 and in a wheelchair you've got to be transferred into an ordinary car seat and if that's not possible you just can't travel in a wav unless you buy your own and on a pension that's just not viable.
    Any help on this problem would be gratefully received.

Forum Member
    Hi Jude,

That truly is awful. I think you should ask the MNDA directly. They must be able to give support or advise where to get support.

Take care,

Bern

Hi Jude,

I agree the system is flawed but the rules about Motability are very strict. Your mother may be entitled to attendance allowance or carers if a family member is looking after her. As Bern says the MNDA have a benefit helpline for advice.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Life is a journey, not a destination.

Forum Member
    Jude Hall -
    Mobility allowances were altered about four years ago and are linked into other benefits and only for under 64 year olds. My husband was an amputee and lost out by one month. Luckily we had our own car because without one life would have been difficult indeed and we would not have been able to go out except using his wheelchair. What did seem unfair was that if you had secured approval before you were 64 you could keep it for life but you couldn't apply after 64, even using your own money to pay the monthly rental. I did read in the paper last weekend that they are about to shake the system up again. I wonder if there is a Charity that could help your father?

Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for your help, I've looked at the autochair person lift for the car and it looks like a good system that may be worth thinking about, thanks Dude for the link.

Take care All xx ����

Hi Jude;

You can also get "carony" seat systems, they fit into standard cars in stead of the passenger seat. They turn and then it can slide into it's wheelchair base.

Just another idea.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

https://www.ransomemobility.co.uk/mo...urnout-system/

Hey Jude [sorry]. This explains it better. The wheelchair base and wheels come off and go into the boot and the seat just slides in. Dude x
    ps Which area do you live in ?..
    Last edited by Dude; 7th February 2018 at 10:06. Reason: ps

Hello Jude. I am also in my 70's and have als. As you have been previously advised motability scheme is not available to over 65's unless they are already receiving it prior to reaching that age. If you look online there are plenty of secondhand WAV's out there. I bought a secondhand Fiat Doblo from FMC Kidderminster and it didn't break the bank. Keith x