Thread: Wheelchair and a hotel with no disabled toilet

Forum Member

Wheelchair and a hotel with no disabled toilet

I have had the wheelchair service here today. They are ordering my first (manual) wheelchair. I cannot have a powered chair she said until our front path has been altered. Anyway, it's a good start for me getting out more. I have not been going out recently because of the frequency of me falling.

We go to Robin Hoods Bay North Yorkshire every Easter and meet with (50+) friends in the Victoria Hotel at the top of the hill. They have ramped access to the pub/hotel and the loo in the main family room is up 3 steps. I phoned them and asked about whether they have a loo accessable to a wheelchair. The manager said no and explained that the new orangery that they are building is taking all their efforts at the moment and maybe after this is done they'll do a floor level loo.

I asked how other wheelchair users cope and have they done anything to help such as a temporary ramp. She said usually people bring somebody with them who helps them get up the steps and they could put a board as a temporary ramp.

How totally unsatisfactory. My party have been spending lots of money in this establishment every Easter for 50years. I'm flabergasted and wondering how I'm going to manage. Rant over.

Hi Lynne;

Firstly, can you say that a suitable path is on the way and arrange it so that you are on the list for a power chair?

You would think that a hotel that big would have had a assailable loo! Normally they should make reasonable effort to do this and it should be one of the things that planners insist on when alterations are made in the building.

Quite often they don't provide Temp ramps because if you are injured they could be liable.

Funny enough, I am a share holder, (small) of my local pub but I have difficulty in even getting in there and no chance of any Loo.

At another village share owned pub they got a long trellis table down and assisted my chair up over two feet and seesawed me down the other side. Old small 17th century Suffolk pubs don't normally have assess for us.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Terry, yea I thought in this day and age any pub or hotel thats getting any work done would have to have a disabled loo installed. If this isn't the case then the building regulations need urgently changing. We haven't got anyone to look at doing our front step yet. My husband is going to ask a friend who was a builder but has given up due to MS a couple of years ago. He still has contacts.

Hi Lynne,

Contact social services and they will organise your door steps. You may have to pay depending on your financial situation but they will organise the job. You can buy portable wheelchair ramps for less than 50 for your trip to North Yorkshire. www.completecareshop.co.uk

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Life is a journey, not a destination.

Forum Member
    Thanks Barry. I'll click on that link now. Much appreciated.