Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALS Diet

Forum Member

ALS Diet

I came across this article that was part of natural treatment for als by a Dr. Axe. Just wanted to share it.

The ALS Diet

The first step of any restorative diet is to REMOVE all toxins and processed food from your diet. Remove all sugars (including artificial sweeteners), grains, hydrogenated oils and any preservatives from your diet.

Healing can only happen when you strip away the dietary stresses that work against your own healing process.

Next add in nutrient dense foods that will fight the free radicals which attack the motor neurons and will help slow the decay process. Simply supplementing nutrients does not mean the body can absorb them.

Eating whole nutritious foods is the best way for the body to receive and process nutrition. It is critical to eat foods rich in antioxidants and concentrated nutrients, as the body is made to absorb minerals and vitamins best in whole food form. Some healing foods that help fight ALS conditions are:

•High antioxidant fruits: Antioxidants found in these fruits help convert free radicals and super oxygen into less harmful molecules and support your bodies function. (Goji berries, wild blueberries, cranberries, blackberries are all great options).

•Vegetables are a wonderful source of accessible nutrition. Foods high in antioxidants and minerals that help detox are artichokes, red beans or kidney beans (higher in antioxidants than even wild blueberries), spinach (high in zinc) and mushrooms.

•Quality Protein sources: Organic sources are important! Choose grass-fed beef, free-range chicken, cage-free eggs, lamb, lentils, pecans, cashews, pumpkin/squash seeds.

•Healthy Fats: coconut oil, cold-pressed olive oil, cultured butter or ghee, avocado.

•Coconut oil specifically is extremely healing to the body and works on several levels to boost your body’s natural defenses to disease. To read more on coconut oil check out my article on Coconut Oil Uses and Cures.

Top ALS Supplements

Vitamin E and C – help support immune function, strengthens connective tissue, and generally helps maintain the entire function of your body. Vitamin C also help with Glutamate uptake, so a deficiency in C could be creating the abnormally high Glutamate levels that cause nerve death. And vitamin E has been proven to be beneficial in studies.

B-Complex / Vitamin B12 – Vitamin B in all its forms is an important support to muscles, energy levels, and nerve function. Vitamin B-12 in the form of methylcobalamin has been found to slow muscle loss.

Calcium, Magnesium, and Vitamin D3 – Replenishing calcium and magnesium levels in the body, helps to process the heavy metals and remove toxins. Both minerals works together to activate each other.

Also adding Vitamin D assists in calcium absorption, helps maintain bone mass, and improves mitochondrial function.

Selenium – Selenium is a known beneficial mineral that reduces mercury concentrations and counteracts heavy metal effects in the body.

Co-enzyme Q-10 (CoQ10) – CoQ10 is a powerful antioxidant and key component of mitochondrial function.

Zinc and Copper – Zinc and Copper are both present in the SOD1 Superoxide Dismutase gene. In ALS patients, the SOD enzyme leaches the zinc away leaving only copper. The remaining copper in SOD1 is very toxic to motor neurons.

While large doses of zinc can inhibit copper absorption; small amounts of copper with a moderate amount of zinc seems may prevent neuron death. Taking a moderate amount of both minerals can possibly help stabilize ALS symptoms.

Fish Oil – Rich in Omega-3’s, and essential fatty acid, fish oil is one of the best ways to reduce inflammation in the body. It restores brain health and helps boost your immune system.

Getting diagnosed with ALS can be overwhelming but the good news is there are natural ALS treatments that can help slow degeneration and improve symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by ccinjersey View Post

Getting diagnosed with ALS can be overwhelming but the good news is there are natural ALS treatments that can help slow degeneration and improve symptoms.

Have you links to the scientific studies to back up these claims please CC, I'd be very interested to read them.

Thanks,
    Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Hi Ellie

I have no idea who this Dr Axe is? Maybe someone here heard of him and his scientific research to support his claim ?

My cousin was diagnosed with lung cancer and I was searching for holistic approaches to supplement her chemo, and came across this article titled ' ALS Natural Treatment and Diet' by Dr Axe, it was a very lengthy article about what als is and possible causes of it etc...then it went into the diet, and supplement part which is what I posted.

When I went further with this 'Dr Axe' because I thought maybe this article was from a book he wrote, one of the links led me to the Deanna Protocol.

CCxox
    Last edited by ccinjersey; 15th February 2018 at 15:49.

It's very important not to post an unsubstantiated claim that something "can slow degeneration", though I know your heart was in the right place CC. Dr Axe is not a medical doctor.

Of course people with ALS/MND, or any medical condition, have free will to decline or undergo conventional medical or alternative treatments.
    My worry is giving the desperate some false hope.

My ALS diet is simple: I eat what I like to eat and enjoy it

Ellie x.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the enlightenment Ellie, and Dude.

xox

Happy to help lol. Dude xo

CC guess what I eat most things you talk about. Have tin chilli fish and other fish once a week and always my chicken curry every Saturday. This Saturday all family coming and my grandkids love my curry. I drink orange lime juice all day off out shortly for a pint hope got favourite Enville Ginger.
    Best wishes John

Forum Member
    Hi John

The diet itself sounds like a good common sense healthy one for the health conscious person even if not living with mnd. Most of the foods on it sound beneficial just for overall good health in my opinion.

I hope you feel the benefits from all the good stuff your eating as well. Enjoy and have a wonderful meal with your grandkids Saturday

My sister is a huge believer in holistic healing and my niece is a nurse who is going into the field of holistic nursing. My sister is upset that our cousin is doing chemotherapy to treat her lung cancer, my sister believes diet and the powers of natural healing therapies can treat her without chemo.

She sent me a documentary of a medical series with doctors from around the world stating that 90% of doctors said they would never give their loved ones chemotherapy, and these were oncologist ! One doctor used this analogy, he said its like having ants in your home and you use a nuclear bomb to kill the ants, so you kill the ants and everything else along with them.

My question to my sister was if 90% of doctors don't believe in chemo for treatment then where are they sending their loved ones that are ill. and what are they doing to treat them with that the rest of us don't know about ???

It was a fascinating series, with a positive light on holistic approaches.

I was telling Terry that my sister sleeps with onions on her feet because she says it pulls the toxins out of our bodies. Terry said it also makes for good contraception

CCxox

I love onions . Dude xo