Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saliva

Forum Member

Saliva

Has anyone tried the patches for treating excess saliva? If so how good are they or do they go too much the other way?

It's trial and error and depends on how much one's swallow is compromised, i.e. how much pooling of saliva.

The Hyoscine patch can be cut to reduce the dose, but do ask the doctor. They work well for many - not for me as I'd vision issues as a side effect (Hyoscine crosses the blood-brain barrier)

It's important to keep up fluid intake to at least 1500mls/day.

Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Thank you, I will tell my daughter to make sure she reads the side effect leaflet thoroughly.

Jaxx I tried Hyacine patches a few years back. I must be allergic to them because they left like a ciggy burn on my neck. I persevered for about 3 weeks as they seemed to be starting to work. They may be successful for you. Good luck. Dude x

Forum Member
    Jaxx , my husband wear's one .There is absolutely no improvement for him. I have heard that eye drops help, or motion sickness help some.

Forum Member
    I saw them today and it says travel sickness patches???

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    My husband tried them too and got a rash on his neck so then tried amitriptyline - that didn't last long either. He doesn't like the idea of antidepressants. Currently not using anything but some days are a struggle for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    Yes, that's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Boiler68 View Post
    My husband tried them too and got a rash on his neck so then tried amitriptyline - that didn't last long either. He doesn't like the idea of antidepressants. Currently not using anything but some days are a struggle for him.
    He could ask his doctor for atropine or glycoporrium to see if they work. Kwells tablets are the same as the patches - if the hyoscine worked, he could try them but do check with his GP first.

Boiler Anti-depressants are a step forward. I think most members have been prescribed them. Dude x