Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Sweats at Night

Forum Member

Hot Sweats at Night

Hi, I have heard hot sweats at night can become an issue, I have started to have the 2 or 3 nights a week recemtly. Has anyone else experienced this, and is a part of MND.
    Regards, Pete

Pete, never ever come across that being hot at night. Don’t think I will be warm for the next two weeks with our freezing weather. Let’s see if any one on the forum has an answer to this. When I go out in the cold weather on my wheelchair I struggle keep my left leg on the footplate in cold weather as I react to cold.
    Best wishes John

Forum Member
    Hi John, Many thanks, I'll keep a look out for any replies.
    Kind regards,
    Pete

Hi Pete,

The fancy term of "Autonomic Dysregulation" - meaning involuntary bodily functions such as sweating, digestion etc don't work as they're meant to - is yet another part of the degenerative process of MNDs.

Sweating and temperature control can be affected, too little or too much, often depending if one is early or late stage.

If it only happens in bed, could it be related to anxiety (don't be offended!!) meds or breathing effort?

You should mention it to your doctor too.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Hi Ellie, I was diagnosed last October, but was having symptoms since last March, so can I assume early stage. I have spoken to my GP (very good have him on speed dial), as my Thyroid has been a slight issue in the past, he has checked evrything, medication etc. Yes it only happens in bed and I am on 20mg Citalopram for the involuntary emotions etc.

Kind regards,
    Pete

Forum Member
    Pete:
    In the first few months after diagnosis I had profuse night sweats. Would wake up soaked. It was anxiety. The diagnosis shock kicked my autonomic nervous system into overdrive. Its akin to your car accelerator getting stuck. Took 3 months on antidepressants for my system to calm down. This is one explanation and a very likely one.

Charles

this has been a problem for me from early on. I have a fan near my bed that has remote control. Getting too hot or cold is a constant problem, I use lots of thin layers.

Wendy

Forum Member
    Hi Wendy & Charles,
    Many thanks for the info, I am on anti-depressants as you will see prescribed by my consultant. I will see how it goes and note it for next consult session. Thanks again.
    Best regards,
    Pete

Gosh, I've been getting very hot during the night but didn't realise that it can be one of the mnd symptoms. This website is fab. Thanks all.

Forum Member
    Hi Lynne, You are welcome, we all try to help each other and pass on info as and when we can. It all helps.

Kind regards,
    Pete