Thread: Hello I'm new to MND

Forum Member

Hello I'm new to MND

My husband was diagnosed with MND 8 weeks ago in January 2018 so all is very fresh, MND association have been brilliant in guiding us through the maze that is DWP. He has been awarded PIP with the enhanced mobility element. At the moment he can safely drive our manual car, but he is losing the strength in his arms and I suspect that he will need an automatic before long. Is leasing a car through Motability a good idea or does anyone have a preferred alternative? Advice appreciated.

welcome I'm an ex-carer and never received motability as my mother was too fragile to be in a car.i'm sure somebody will be able to tell you.i remember those weeks it was bizarre as id never seen mnd progress just stephen hawking and david niven before he lost his speech .

Forum Member
    Dear MEJ,

Hello and welcome to the Forum, I expect you are both adjusting to the news but seem to be taking steps to deal with it which is good.

I would say that leasing a Motability vehicle is a good idea and I suggest you do it early on before you need it so it is there when you do and you get some use out if it. The Motability scheme gets consistently good feedback from users and it has it's fans here who will be able to give you their experience. I made a mistake in not going for it two years ago and I wish I had but at that time I did not know what the future might hold so I went for a wait and see approach. The standard lease is only three years and you can change if your husband's circumstances change.

It is also possible to get adaptations done at the start of the lease which will make it easier for him over time which will give him years of benefit.

He should notify the DVLC of his diagnosis, he must by law, but should be given a licence for a fixed period hopefully three years after which he will need to be reviewed but that is some way off yet.

So yes go for it and get something you both will enjoy.

All the best,

John

Forum Member
    Hi
    Tony had to stop driving due to weakness in his arms a few months before his diagnosis. He got the full PIP award in October and we could have applied for a motability car, but in our situation it would be me as the driver. Everyone is different, but our MND co-ordinator discussed it with us and in our situation we decided that we will purchase a second hand WAV car for me to drive and are using the motability money for different things. We won't have to pay to tax the car and the costs of running it will be similar to the car I have at present. For other types of disability and slower MND they are great, but not for us.

Hi we have a Motability vehicle. We started with a automatic car, but Steve wasn't able to drive it because of loosing the strength in his arms and hands. 2 years in and we have changed to a wheelchair accessible van. You had to have a year left on your award to change vehicles. They were very helpful and we got funding to change to the van. I have always driven both. It has enabled us to get out and about and not worry about things going wrong with vehicle as all servicing, tax insurance etc is covered. Everyone's situation is different so it's what best for you. We could not afford to get a new vehicle without Motability.
    Sue

Hi Sue
    I have an automatic from notability but I'm almost at the point of needing to change to a WAV . Who provided the funding to help you get the WAV? The cheapest ones I've seen require about 1200 up front. I am still working (thanks to the car) so that may make me ineligible.

Best wishes
    Andy

Forum Member
    Andy:

Working does not make you ineligible.

Charles

Yes Charles, I was just wondering who helped with the funding to change to a WAV. The initial payments start at about 1200.

Andy