• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Admin_MND
    Forum Administrator
    • Oct 2015

Professor Stephen Hawking has died

The MND Association is saddened by the news of the death of Professor Stephen Hawking. An Association patron since 2008, Professor Hawking has been vital in raising awareness of motor neurone disease around the world.

Sally Light, Chief Executive of the MND Association said: “All of us at the MND Association have been extremely saddened by the news of Professor Hawking’s passing.

Through so many years in the public eye he did a huge amount to raise awareness of motor neurone disease (MND), yet he never allowed himself to be defined by his illness. His approach to life with MND is an example to all of us.”

For more news on his life and his impact click here.

If you’ve been affected by this topic please contact our MND connect team on 0800 8026262 or on [email protected].
    Our working hours are Monday to Friday 8:30am until 5pm
  • Barry52
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2012

This is indeed sad news but we should take hope and inspiration from what he achieved, despite MND.

R. I. P. Stephen Hawking
    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• njm
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2013

Yes Barry. Another brave MND warrior has succumed.

Charles

Comment

• Bern
        Forum Member
        • May 2017

Very sad news but what a wonderful, talented and inspirational man he was, despite living most of his life with MND.

Bern

Comment

• Ellie
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2012

When I saw the great Stephen Hawking being hand fed and being given Champagne with a spoon at public functions, it blew me away.
          Up to then, only family had seen me being fed and I thought to myself 'if he doesn't mind it, why should I?!!' and gave myself a kick in the behind

Prof Hawking, thanks for inspiring me and for making me proud to live with my MND...

RIP to a truly unique brain.
          ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Admin_MND
            Forum Administrator
            • Oct 2015

Following the sad news of the death of Professor Stephen Hawking there has been a huge increase in the number of people accessing our website which has caused it to be unavailable for a period of time. Although we have seen a small increase in donations we believe the majority of visitors to our website are interested in finding out more about the disease.

If you or someone you know were hoping to access the website for any reason, please do contact our MND connect team in the meantime on 0800 8026262 or on [email protected].
            Our working hours are Monday to Friday 8:30am until 5pm

Comment

• Fru
              Forum Member
              • Sep 2016

So sad to hear of the passing of our patron Professor Sir Stephen Hawking. He was such an inspiration to so many people. Watching the programmes tonight makes me feel so proud of home and everything we have here. Yes, always look to the stars and not at your feet.
              Rest in peace.
              Fru

Comment

• goldilockz

RIP Mr Hawking. Thank you for your contribution to science and humanity. Hopefully you have taken us a few steps closer towards a cure for MND.

Comment

• marieline

RIP Prof Hawking. i am saddened by the news. Such a great sense of humour and a great brain and mind.
                  Marieline

Comment

• ccinjersey

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny." - Stephen Hawking

RIP

Comment

• Ellie
                      Forum Member
                      • Oct 2012

Found this interesting article in The Lancet re Stephen Hawking's long survival

Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Terry
                        Forum Member
                        • May 2012

I never knew he had a tracheostomy operation.

I think a the other reasons were because he could carry on with his profession and could think about that as well as get the best nursing etc.

Love Terry
                        TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Charlescic
                          Forum Member
                          • Aug 2019

Professor Stephen Hawking has died

You are right. The whole era of science has ended. He was one of the greatest and brightest minds of this century. I remember myself when I was a student. I was inspired by black holes theory and other his works.
                          RIP Stephen Hawking...
                          May the stars you loved so much will be your home...

Comment

• nunhead_man
                            Forum Member
                            • Jul 2017

Hi Terry

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                            I never knew he had a tracheostomy operation
                            Strangely, I saw the Stephen Hawking film between the time I had the 1st signs of MND and the time I was diagnosed. I have always wondered if the decision to go for tracheostomy was driven by the fact that he lived so much in his head and had 3 Intel engineers supporting him, so he knew even without his real voice he could get stuff out of his head out to the world

Warmly
                            Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

• Ellie
                              Forum Member
                              • Oct 2012

Andy,

Stephen Hawking had an emergency tracheostomy in 1985 due to a life threatening bout of pneumonia, while away in Switzerland (or maybe France??)

He was horrified when he woke up and realised his voice, weak though it was, had gone because of the trache. It preceded his Intel days and initially he used an alphabet board to communicate.

He made a very good biographical documentary for Channel 4 in 2013, which is well worth watching and available on YouTube.

Love Ellie.

Comment

Working...
                              X