medication via peg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

medication via peg

Following days of coughing and 2 courses of antibiotics, the SALT today has said nothing orally for the time being for my husband.
    He is devestated as he loves his food, but is coughing so much SALT is worried about chest infections.
    All tablets have been crushed and added to soft food so I had a slight panic about tonight's meds.

His MND nurse was fantastic and sought advice, what came back was a detailed description of how to disolve each tablet.
    He has 6 tablets tea time and I alway used to crush the lot together ( or opened capsules) and added to food.

It took me ages doing one at a time and so many flushes.

My question is, for those of you who use peg for medication, do you do everything in one go?

I'm hopefully this is short term, I've given him fortisip tonight but he is still hungry.

Dietitian is getting back to us tomorrow with a feeding regime so I know how many fortisips to give.

All very sudden and unexpected!

Any advice appreciated.

Kernowmum
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Hi Kernow,

My meds are all crushed together - I get up to 5 different types of meds (7 tablets) at a time - and they're put into 60mls water and into a syringe, then given to me and flushed through afterwards. I get 240mls flush each time for hydration. This is also how the nurses do it in the hospice when I'm an inpatient.

You cannot crush his Zomorph or any extended release meds. Any idea what gauge his feeding tube is? Or he could use a morphine patch.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

Working...
    X