Thread: Toilet Lifts

Toilet Lifts

Hi

Currently I have a normal toilet with a frame around it. My legs are very weak, but I have still have some strength in my arms, so I can lift myself off the toilet using the frame. But what about the future?

My OT is urging me to buy a Clos o Mat electro-mechanical toilet seat lifter. But it would cost £3,000 including fitting. I see that there are simple devices that you fit to the toilet seat to just raise the height of it by a few inches. The cost varies from about £20 to about £50. I find that lifting myself other seats which are a few inches higher than the toilet (eg my wheelchair) not particularly difficult.

Has anyone any experience of either of these types of device?

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

I installed a comfort height toilet when we had a wet room built and I find it easy to use and transfer to my rollator. I know you can get a raised addition to a standard toilet and the wash and dry toilets also raise the height.
    If you are starting from scratch I would always recommend a comfort height toilet or comfort height wash and dry toilet as they are more aesthetically pleasing than an add on which can move around when in use.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi Richard,

I think that one of the posh loos can have an attachment that lifts you and the seat raises and tilts.

Does your OT offer any funding towards a possible essential piece of equipment?

Sometimes the Mnda will help a bit.

Good rails help and if you have a wall to the side and forward you could fit a pull down one there high.

I have a sit to stand hoist that we use sometimes .

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    My husband found the seats that lift the toilet up a bit higher often caused spillage through the gap. The NHS frame which fitted around the loo also moved and unsteady when my husband needed to rest on it.

After a lot of research I found a Scandinavian made seat on-line which fitted over the loo like a hood. It also had built in arms which lifted up making access from a wheelchair easier. Once the seat was secured the arms were safe to use for support.

It cost about 140 pounds but looked good and did the job well. i think they made them in two heights.

Hope this helps. Ann

Hi Ann;

Can you post a link?

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Richard,

I'm going to be realistic here... sorry if it's blunt!

You say your legs are weak, so in the future you'll likely find yourself using one of the following options:

A wheeled commode which fits over the loo.
    Using a hoist to be lowered onto a "wash & dry" loo (with pull-down safety side rails)
    A high/height-adjustable commode which can fit over a "wash & dry" loo.

I don't see how an expensive loo with a rising function will actually help you transfer *on your own* in the future. But I may be missing something that your OT sees as to how a lifting loo seat would help you in the future? Or maybe someone with personal experience will post.

For now, definitely get something which raises the height of the loo seat - minimum 10cms.

I wouldn't rush into spending so much money on something you may only get short-term use of.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Etac Cloo toilet seat raiser
    Cloo is a height adjustable toilet seat raiser which combines flexibility and simplicity
    Cloo can be adjusted to three different heights. It can also be set with a slight anterior tilt if reduced mobility in the hip and knee joints restricts the ability to sit down and stand up. It has a discreet and soft design to blend in with the bathroom interior.
    Functional arm supports
    Cloo is available with or without arm supports. The arm supports are foldable but can be fixed in a folded down position if required. The arm supports are also detachable. Cloo can be used with only one arm support if space around the toilet is limited.

They vary in price according to the seller.

Ann

Sorry for the delay in replying, but thanks to all for your advice.

Regards

Richard