Thread: Need advice for my dad

Forum Member

Need advice for my dad

Need some advice, please. My father has been living with ALS for a year now and has lost full use of his arms but still has a small amount of grip left in his hands. He shaves, for example, by flopping his hands up onto the surface and then pushing his face down to meet them. Eating is done in a similar way, although he cannot cut things but he can angle them into his mouth. Unfortunately he does not live in the UK but I am going to visit him over Easter. I really want to take something that might help him in some way but am confused by all the different disability aids that are out there. Specifically, I am thinking about cutlery items and/or arm rests... and something to help in the toilet (his worst nightmare is not being able to wipe himself). Please would you help? I know that I should look at NRS website but am bewildered by the array. Is anyone else with similar progression able to give me some advice on small things that might make a big difference? Thank you in advance.

Hi Sasha and welcome to the forum;

Sorry to hear how your dad is struggling and there are things that might help him.

Where does he live and what voltage is their electric?

You can get foam grips for forks or spoons or buy them completed. There are arm supports but they are quite elaborate and have to normally be fixed to a wheelchair. There could well be simpler things that do a similar job that lift the arm on elastic or a counter balance.

Why I asked about electricity is because I use a Bio Bidet 1000 toilet seat that washes and drys your bum. You will need clean water at a reasonable pressure and you will have to make sure that it will fit on his loo. I can probably find out more on this if you think it will suite.

If you are thinking of any particular items you can post Description/links and ask for comments.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Terry, thank you very much for the reply. The Bio Bidet sounds great, although I have noticed they are expensive but maybe can split 3 ways with my brother and sister. The electricity there is 240v like here. Does it need to be specially fit by an electrician/plumber or does it just sit on top of the loo? If there are any other handy things you can think of I would be most grateful! Sasha

Hi Sacha,

It comes with a plug on it but I have connected it to outside the shower room. It can be connected by a DIY type person from the cistern supply if there is enough pressure.

But check that it will fit and pressure first.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Sasha
    My husband wanted to maintain dignity and our OT put a order in for a closomat toilet, it washes and drys you.
    Your dads OT can provide utensils or show him magazines on different things to help dad maintain a independent life.
    Encourage dad to make contact with his OT and physio, they can do a joint visit.

Forum Member
    Dear Terry thank you so much for this recommendation. I got the biobidet for my dad and he really likes it. Thank you for helping us. sasha

Forum Member
    Thank you M4GK. I am currently visiting my parents and found out that my dad does not have an OT. He lives in a country where there is no NHS so effectively you have to decide what you need yourself then go and look for it. He is so exhausted and that is hard. I am amazed that his doctor hasn't recommended an OT but there you go. I have spoken to him about it and he agrees that he could use some help finding equipment that will make his life easier. So the challenge now is to find a reputable OT that actually knows how to help his condition and doesn't just claim to.