Thread: Something to help me stand

Forum Member

Something to help me stand

Wonder if anyone can advise me. I sit on my rollator to meals etc as its just the right height. Also use it for sitting at the sink for a wash. Legs are getting weaker and its getting harder to stand. What I think it needs is a higher cushion. Or maybe something else. I have tried wheel chair cushions but they are too soft. Any recommendations?

Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris,

Could your OT help? I don't know what size the seat is, but you seem to say a wheelchair cushion fits it? If so, you could try a gel type cushion, a similar height or a deeper cushion with/without gel.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Thanks Ellie. I tried the OT and they gave me a cushion. Its only an inch or so tall and I use it at work. But its not tall enough and they will only let me have one. So if I bought a Gel cushion would it be firm enough to not crush down? How about those spring things that propel you up? Thanks for the reply

A pure gel cushion would indent somewhat (even with my dainty rear!) but if it's on top of foam, it retains its form more. It's much better to try before you buy if possible, it's difficult to judge from descriptions alone. The thin cushion your OT supplied sounds useless - far too thin! You could try telling the OT you're feeling pressure on your bottom and could you swap the thin one for a thicker one?

The problem with the spring-up cushion is if you're anyway unsteady on your feet or have balance issues, you might be launched into the boiling pans of water or face plant!

Ellie x.

Forum Member
    Hii Chris
    Tony had something called a pertch stool, he used it to wash, it has adjustable legs and arms and was good. Supplied by OT before we moved.

If you Google it there are examples.

Hope this helps

Kernowmum

Ali, I use sit to stand hoist to get in and out of bed,chairs and wheelchair. The seat I had in the wheelchair originally was ok but after 18 months it got bit flat and painfull. The wheelchair provided by my local council Dudley. They had me in and provided new seat. It is brilliant now so comfortable I stay in it all day. It is plastic air filled and so comfortable you hardly feel like you are sitting down.
    Best wishes John

Hi Chris,

You should look at the safety of sitting on a rollator always.

Maybe a piece of thinish wood or hard sponge under the cushion that the OT gave you would improve it.

I have just bought a seat cover that goes on top of a hard seat that is quite firmy and three inches thick.

I have also thought about having a air cushion that could be pumped up with a electric pump to raise you up a few inches, I have been thinking about this for another use for a while now.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Chris
    It sounds like your OT needs to come out and review you again. There are many options out there. If your not getting much help, ask your MND Nurse to refer you to the OT.

I agree with all previous comments.

Have you thought of requesting an assessment for an electric wheelchair, to help reserve your energy. Your OT or MND Nurse can do this.

Forum Member
    Thanks for all your comments. I think an OT is in order.

Chris, it's no harm asking OT for a full assessment. You never know what they'll pick up on to make your days easier and safer.

Ellie x.