Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refusing peg fitting and food

Forum Member

Refusing peg fitting and food

Can anyone tell me if you can refuse to have a peg fitted and refuse food at the latter stages of this nightmare, I donít want to sound morbid but I would like to hasten things at the later stages.

Hi John;

Yes you certainly refuse to have a feeding tube fitted and I'm pretty certain that you can refuse feeding through it, refuse drugs and if you are on a breathing machine you can refuse that as well.

Don't worry about what questions you want to ask, it's good to be realistic and know your options.

One thing that I done when at your sort of stage was have a DNR (do not resuscitate) written out.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi John

I think all the choices are all yours to make. My dear friend who has been living with this illness for six years has refused everything, and anything, from a tube feeding, speech device, power chair, hoist, home carers, and transportation vehicle. Quality of living could be much better for her, but they are her choices to make.

CCxox

Forum Member
    Hi CC, your dear friend has survived for 6 years,
    based on my limited research it is generally stated
    most people get 2 years after diagnosis, 6 years would be heaven
    to me but how many of those years are of a reasonable quality,I’m
    recently diagnosed and my head is all over the place, I can’t stand
    the thought of the tubes etc. that’s why I thought refusing food would hasten
    the end when there is no more quality and only misery.
    Apologies for the dark tone of my reply.

Forum Member
    Hi Terry,
    Thanks for your reply, how do you go about setting up a DNR,
    Are you a male Terry or a female Terry, just curious

Forum Member
    Sorry for your need to be here John, but you will hear from many members here living long, and productive lives while managing this illness.

In my opinion if my dear friend would use all the technology, and tools available to her I believe the six years of living with this illness would have been better, and improved quality of living. She lost the ability to communicate so if she had a speech device that alone would have made a world of difference in the years of living with this illness.

CCxox

ps Terry is our very cool TopCat

my mam never had one ,she had ng tube in the last few months because she stopped eating ,had a dnr -The euthanasia society had given her some dnr forms .

Forum Member
    To be honest CC I don't really want to get to that stage
    that's why I am looking at the starvation route, I will need
    to look into this DNR thing, I've looked into Dignitas in Switzerland but
    that is a bit complicated to organise

Forum Member
    Excuse my ignorance Streetwise, what is an ng fitting,
    Also can you get these DNR forms from any other source,
    Cheers Mate

Forum Member
    The very best to you John.

I'm sure you will hear from other forum members here that will tell you that the rate of progression is very different for everyone. You may very well have many, many good years ahead of you before you even need to consider that option.

It's good you joined this forum you will see so much positivity, and inspiration by others living with this illness, and any questions or concerns you may have there is always someone here to answer them as well.

CCxox