Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wav

Forum Member

Wav

Hello
    We are seeking advice on a WAV. Currently we have a Land Rover which in a few months time will need brakes service and MOT etc. We are considering part exchanging our car for a second hand WAV something like a Renault Kangoo or something similar. We live in the South Lakes and any advice would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Chrisp; 26th April 2018 at 12:45.

Hi Chrisp;

I would recommend about 60% of people with Mnd to buy a automatic WAV type vehicle, as some of us don't have a lot of leg trouble and can use a normal type of car.

Try to get a power chair and ride in the back of it as well as drive it if possible. The ride is rarely good but can be very bad. I bought an old Kangoo WAV about 7 years ago and because I was worried about the reliability as it is old I bought another later 06 model. They are both very different to drive and to ride in a wheelchair in the back and the 06 model is very bad.

Whether people should buy a second hand one or new possibly through the mobility scheme is down to the individuals.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hello
    Anyone got any views on a VW Caddy 08 plate with 56000 miles

Forum Member
    Chrisp:
    A Caddy is a good vehicle. I have one.
    The mileage suggests about 5000 a year. That implies it was used sparingly as most WAVs are.
    More important does it have the kind of ramp for your needs.
    Mine has an electronic ramp which is much easier for my wife who is the driver.
    And it is automatic which suits my wife.

Charles

Hi Chris;

I think that there is more room in than some of the others and it generally gives a better ride.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    I have just been 'lucky' enough (not the right word obviously) to be awarded the higher rate of PIP allowance and want to use the mobility part towards a WAV. Contacted the Mobility people who were helpful and directed me to their website but so many cars. I just looked and thought how could I fit my powerchair in there! I will be on my own most of the time, has anyone got any recommendations for a new WAV. Ideally need a 4 x4 as live down muddy country lanes and automatic. Also trying to think of disease progression as although can just walk a little bit on sticks, I want to be able to drive into vehicle on the wheelchair and straight into driving position I think!! Help.

There area number of cars that are adapted to enable a wheelchair person to drive, I don't know of any 4 wheel drive ones though, loobylou;

Best to ask the firms that do alterations like Brotherhood, Sirus and probably a few others.

He's a sirus one on ebay:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-VOLK...4AAOSwXyZa-B3n

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thanks Terry, that's given me an idea of how it's done.

Ask if you are unsure about things Loobylou;

You can get some that have facility to have a wheelchair in both front seats I think.

And let us know what you find out.

Love Terry

We're having a demo of a CitroŽn berlingo next week. Hoping to get through motability scheme. Anyone have any experience of these wavs?