Employ a carer or get someone self employed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employ a carer or get someone self employed

Fed up with the turnover of staff with the care agency I use and not really having a say in who turns up , not to mention me having to keep repeatedly tell them what I need and my dignity. So hoping to get them myself. Does anyone have experience in this and the pros and cons. Will need two carers.
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Hi Iv,

It's a tough one that - each has its pros & cons - I find using an agency with which you have a good relationship is the easier option in the long run.

Yes you can choose who you employ if you go the Employer route but you have to have at least twice the number of carers to cover holiday & sick leave; have insurance; do their rosters; manage their expectations; vet them. And, if you're going to do it all 'above board', pay their applicable tax & NI and have the legal responsibilities that go with being an Employer. That said, I used local carers successfully in the early days while waiting for my provided hours to be topped up, but it was stressful at times and I had carers from an agency for the bulk of my care. I would not have gone down the employer route to provide all of my care - maybe others would, it's a personal decision and probably easier to manage for fewer hours.

I have changed care agencies when I had persistent problems with carers and was getting nowhere with management. And I've often changed carers within an agency after frank and open dialogue with their managers. It's not in anyone's interest to have multiple carers turning up to care for you never having met you before. Even with one's needs detailed in a care plan, it takes a few visits to get to know how it all works in practice.

I'd say, if you can, try to resolve the staffing issue with your current agency management first before interviewing other providers.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

I'm confused how the care system works including cost. I'm not ready for one yet but I know there's going to be a need soon. I've started having difficulty with transferring as I literally have to shuffle/spin on my feet. I know they will come in in the morning but with no set time? What happens when you need a wee when they're not around? Hate overthinking but I'm having to now. I just get one problem sorted and then something else needs to be sorted!

Comment

• Hayls
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2019

Hello everyone, I’m not far away from needing more care and don’t want all the pressure to be on hubby, after working in care when I could work, I know how much trouble agency companies can be, I think that will cause extra stress on me and hubby, does anyone have experience to hiring a personal assistant

Comment

• Terry
          Forum Member
          • May 2012

Hi Hayls;

We have had to have carers and we used social services to manage them. It does cost £8 extra but it does ease your responsibility.

Paying for them depends on monies in your name and half of any joint account. If that's over 20,000 ish than you will probably pay till it goes lower.

Love Terry

Love Terry
          TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• slp
            Forum Member
            • May 2018

Hi Hayls
            I have had a PA for about 4 years and it has worked very well. I started with someone 3 days a week and over the years it has risen to 5 days. I have been in receipt of Direct Payments and recently have been granted CHC
            My PA does all the things that I used to do when I was able. She cares for my needs, gets me up, medication etc and she does all the laundry ironing preparing meals for the family and whatever makes the home operate smoothly
            My husband works full time from home so it works for us

I hope this helps
            love Sarah xx

Comment

• Hayls
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2019

Thank you Terry and Sarah, very helpful, extra £8 a week if it eases pressure will be priceless. I’m due to start receiving my pension soon but I don’t think it will be enough so I’m hoping I’ll receive direct payments to help, thank you both for advice

Comment

Working...
              X