Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accepting grants are for anyone with MND with no strings attached..

Forum Member

Accepting grants are for anyone with MND with no strings attached..

Hi, my mum has been diagnosed with MND since January this year and is still coming to terms with it.
    I have offered to help her apply for a grant from the MNDA but she says she has fundraised all her adult life for other charities and worked for them in their various shops and cafés, and even with her difficulties from MND symptoms still does a few hours a week in the local charity shop, but she has never done anything for raising funds for MND specifically, so she feels morally unable to apply for a grant from them when she has never supported them with her time, money or energy.
    I have tried to explain that the grants are for anyone suffering MND and you don't have to have contributed to the charity in any way. She is digging her heals in about it and continues to say that its just how she feels that she hasn't contributed so she feels she can't apply.
    It's so frustrating to me that a person who has been so charitable and giving of time, money and energy all her life won't accept the help and support when she needs it herself? I've tried to explain that no one person can possibly contribute to every charity out there just incase you might need some support from them at some point in your life. Her reply to that is that she has never done the charitable acts to get something back personally but she has done them because it gave her pleasure and friendship.
    Has anyone any advice on what I can say to her to make her understand/see the grants are out there for her to draw on in her time of need and that she should apply to help with her quality of life living with this dreadful condition.

Kind Regards to all readers and those with advice to give.

Dear Jude

Your mum is clearly a wonderful person with high ethical principles, who has given so much to others.

Perhaps you could remind her that all the charities she has worked for so selflessly for years have given help to thousands of people who never contributed to them. That is what charities – like the MNDA – do. That is what they exist for – to help people who need help, irrespective of whether there is any previous connection.

You could also say that, in the greater scheme of things in society, where very kind people like your mum work for the good of others without thought of reward, she more than qualifies now to receive help herself…..from an appropriate source.

The marvellous people who support the MNDA, in the same way that she worked for other charities, want to help her , as she did other people, and they would be upset - as she would be I'm sure - to feel she wouldn’t let them.

Doug

Hi Jude,

I admire your mum’s ethics but the points that Doug raised are valid. As an active fundraiser living with MND I hope that the money goes to research but more importantly improves the quality of life for people living the disease. Your mum has spent most of her life helping others and in turn I’m sure they would be happy to help her. I hope you can persuade your mum to apply and if she is still adamant then suggest she is only taking the bit that the government contribute as gift aid. I’m sure she has paid her share of tax over the years and now it’s payback time.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi Judes,

Like others have said, your mum has admiral ethics. Not so common these days.

Perhaps she could help raise a little bit of money for the Mnda by super market collections or similar to help her accept some charity to help her.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Your mum is coping with rapid! change and that is hard !my mam was /still is to me !very independent! and took help!!!! from me !!!!!when she couldnt !!!!!avoid !!!!!me !
    You could play the 'do it for me im worried !!!!!!!! about you' card looking tearful at the same time!

Forum Member

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hi Judes,

Perhaps she could help raise a little bit of money for the Mnda by super market collections or similar to help her accept some charity to help her.

Love Terry
    That's a very good idea Terry, hadn't thought of that. I could rally the whole family to cover several tills.

Thanks Terry.

Forum Member
    Thanks for your kind words Barry. I told her about the gift aid that goes on and I think I'm beginning to win her round .

Forum Member

Cool Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hi Judes,

Love Terry
    Thanks every one for the kind words and good advice as always.
    I think I'm beginning to win her round letting her know about gift siding and the idea of supermarket collection were the winning factors I think.

Thanks again to you all , Jude

Hi Jude;

Speak to the Mnda fundraising team about your ideas and you need to ask super markets about there policies and availability.

I have done many around Ipswich but have not organized them. I hope your mum accepts help and also contact your local \Mnda branch.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jude Hall View Post
    Thanks every one for the kind words and good advice as always.
    I think I'm beginning to win her round letting her know about gift siding and the idea of supermarket collection were the winning factors I think.

Thanks again to you all , Jude
    Jude, did you get my private message in response to yours? The Northampton branch did a collection at Morrisons last Saturday, such a shame you missed it.