Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Share your views on accessible housing!

Forum Member
    OT came to us couple of weeks ago ( i was at work) within days they came and fitted 2nd stair rail. she also said would sort a pendant out for Mick, and a basic wet room

Good luck getting your adaptions sorted Twinkle, Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Shrew, Do you mean a pendant as in a personal alarm button?

Thanks Lynne, We're struggling getting hubby upstairs and now it's less and less stairs that he can manage. So we help him, then he crawls to the bed from the landing and we heave him onto the bed. It's hard work but we do make it fun even when it's not.

Forum Member
    yes like a wrist one to alert someone if he falls at home

Hi Shrew;

You can get pendant and wrist ones that you have to press but you can get others that will detect falls automatically and you don't need to actuate. If the detector operates then you would get a phone call or a voice message first before they went to emergency numbers etc.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    thanks . they sound good. Mick said the OT was really helpful.

Twinkle, If you are having fun with this major struggle it's amazing and shows how determined and positive you are. I'm glad that I can still get up our stairs using the two rails (one put there by instructions from my OT). It's getting slower and slower and using my arms more to haul myself up. I use a zimmer in our bedroom. My hands are getting weaker, mostly the right one so it's good that we'll be in an adapted bungalow before I deteriorate much more. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Lynne, Thank you xxx, in my opinion you either cry or laugh about these situations and I prefer the latter as does hubby.
    Thank God our council put another rail on the stairs in April, hubby still has good upper strength so he hauls himself up 3 to 5 steps then crawls up. It's his decision to do this as I've tried my very best in having him use the commode and bring the bed down but he's having none of it.

Twinkle, it's probably doing your husband a bit of good exercise but with a bit of risk hauling himself up. How does he get down? Lynne