Thread: Holidays

Forum Member

Holidays

Hi guys
    How do you all cope with Holidays, my husband would love a break abroad. We usually go abroad every year ,we had to cancel 2 last year. I'm just worried how we'd cope , I thought about a cruise . Any ideas thanks Liz

Hi Liz,

The most important thing to consider is your husband’ needs when planning a holiday.

Europe is an easier option as you can take your car and pack all your equipment. Trains including Eurostar are another option and you get to see a lot of the countryside. Most operators offer assistance and you will find a good travel agent should be able to set your itinerary.

If you are going to fly then your husband will need a fit to fly letter from his GP. You can take wheelchairs and folding scooters. Airlines normally rule out flying if breathing equipment is needed.

I’m now a big fan of cruising and I’m looking forward to next Wednesday when I board in Southampton. Many of the smaller ships depart from around the UK and this saves time and hassle. I use an agent called Iglu as they have a great website. If your husband needs disability equipment then this can be delivered to the ship by a company called http://www.mobilityatsea.co.uk
    Please bear in mind that cruise ships have limited cabins with disabled facilities and they tend to be booked a year in advance.

Good luck with the search.

Barry
    Life is a journey, not a destination.

Forum Member
    Thank you Barry, I think I'll look into a cruise,. Do we need a medical note before we book

Quote Originally Posted by Caljake View Post
    Thank you Barry, I think I'll look into a cruise,. Do we need a medical note before we book
    Liz,
    The cruise company or travel agent will ask for details of the disability. You shouldn’t need a medical letter but you will need insurance which can be expensive. There are details of such on the forum.

Barry
    Life is a journey, not a destination.