Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holidays

Forum Member

Holidays

Hi guys
    How do you all cope with Holidays, my husband would love a break abroad. We usually go abroad every year ,we had to cancel 2 last year. I'm just worried how we'd cope , I thought about a cruise . Any ideas thanks Liz

Hi Liz,

The most important thing to consider is your husband’ needs when planning a holiday.

Europe is an easier option as you can take your car and pack all your equipment. Trains including Eurostar are another option and you get to see a lot of the countryside. Most operators offer assistance and you will find a good travel agent should be able to set your itinerary.

If you are going to fly then your husband will need a fit to fly letter from his GP. You can take wheelchairs and folding scooters. Airlines normally rule out flying if breathing equipment is needed.

I’m now a big fan of cruising and I’m looking forward to next Wednesday when I board in Southampton. Many of the smaller ships depart from around the UK and this saves time and hassle. I use an agent called Iglu as they have a great website. If your husband needs disability equipment then this can be delivered to the ship by a company called http://www.mobilityatsea.co.uk
    Please bear in mind that cruise ships have limited cabins with disabled facilities and they tend to be booked a year in advance.

Good luck with the search.

Barry
    Life is a journey, not a destination.

Forum Member
    Thank you Barry, I think I'll look into a cruise,. Do we need a medical note before we book

Quote Originally Posted by Caljake View Post
    Thank you Barry, I think I'll look into a cruise,. Do we need a medical note before we book
    Liz,
    The cruise company or travel agent will ask for details of the disability. You shouldn’t need a medical letter but you will need insurance which can be expensive. There are details of such on the forum.

Barry
    Life is a journey, not a destination.

Forum Member
    Hi all

One of my girls works for Royal Caribbean and she says that there are lots of disabled guests who are catered for in every possible way. I woul also recommend Hoe Grange Farm holidays in the Peak District who also cater for families with a disabled member. Wet room, adjustable beds, wide doorways, ramps, hoist etc. Views are spectacular across the fields. I think 2 of the lodges have hot tubs on the deck. They have thought of everything there...would highly recommend.
    Boiler

Forum Member
    Hello I have taken my husband to the following places, he really enjoyed the scenery, and said the accommodations were lovely.
    Norfolk Friendly Disabled Cottages and Brickhouse Farm.

Hi Liz, Did you find a cruise? I would definitely recommend it. My hubby and I have done quite a few since he was diagnosed. We started off hiring an electric wheelchair from mobility@sea to help him get around and the last couple of cruises we took his own chair but hired a portable hoist & shower chair/commode. I don't know what stage your husband is at but I think it's all doable. They even hire out hospital beds and carers!
    As Barry says the biggest problem is getting hold of an accessible cabin, there are so few of them. However last year I rang the cruise companies direct and asked them for any accessible cabins on any cruise and the lady at Celebrity rang me back a week or so later with a cancellation, so it is possible to get last minute rooms. You just have to be lucky and not get too picky. The only ship we had a slight problem on was Arcadia, lovely ship, one of our favourites but it was very tight getting the wheelchair past the bed. All the other cabins we have had have been more than large enough.
    Good luck!!!

Forum Member
    Hello
    We stay at Hoseasons Lodges around the country. If you ring them up and ask about lodges with disabled access they will tell you what is available. They are great.

Forum Member
    Another travel review!
    We've just come back from a few days in Eastbourne watching the tennis and enjoying the beautiful weather. We stayed at the View Hotel
    which was on the seafront with beautiful views out to sea.

The adapted room was excellent, with two balconies one of which had a ramp so that I could access the balcony in my chair . The room was very spacious and the bathroom had a double walk in shower.

Access around the hotel was easy and I had some lovely scoots along the promenade, lots of beachside cafes too!
    But the best bit of all was that unknown to us we were staying in the players hotel. The first evening we went into the bar to see Wozniacki, Kerber and Wawrinka enjoying the football match!
    Being massive tennis fans We had great fun spotting the players!
    I can really recommend this hotel and hope to go back. Doubt I will get the same fabulous weather though! I took my own scooter but there was one in reception available to rent .

Sounds fabulous Helen! I like the idea of that enormous shower

So glad it worked out well - and celeb sport star spotting thrown in No doubt you'll be glued to the TV for the next 2 weeks! I'm no big Murray fan, but I hope he's fit to play.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.