Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holidays

Forum Member
    Hi than a everyone for the info,steves not been great lately ,He's in his wheelchair most if time now. Also his breathing and swallowing are deteriating pretty fast. He's waiting for a peg,he feels low just now ,feels he's no control over his body now. I don't know how to help him ,we've been reffered to the Mnd team and a neurophycologist has been in touch. So hopefully it'll help him speaking about things.
    I think he's off the idea if a holiday, I struggle to get him to leave the house,once I get him up and dressed he's just sat in front if the telly . He has Parkinson's as well ,I didn't realise you could have both ,I think that's what has got to him. He has cardiomyopathy,copd ,chrohns disease and he needs a catheter as his bladder just stopped working,he hadn't had any tests for That, Dr said it the muscles had just stopped working. How do you all stay positive,is there anything I could be doing more to help thanks Liz

Hi liz;

Sorry to hear about Steve and him not wanting to get out.

He might not want to put any extra work on you, knowing what it involves to go out.

I have not been away for six years because of the extra load on my already extremely busy wife.

We do normally get out most days though.

Love Terry

Sounds perfect Helen ;

Sea, sunshine and celebs. Nice room and hotel.

So pleased for you both.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    We stayed at the Swan hotel and Spa at Newby Bridge and had an excellent accessible room with a big wet room. Lots of well placed grab rails and seats. The hotel was level with lifts and entrances big enough for my scooter. There was two steps down to one of the restaurants ,which I managed although they immediately offered a ramp.I am not sure how accessible the pool is because we did not use it.
    I thought the lake district would be rather hilly for wheel chair users but there are loads of recommended routes and paths and I was able to scoot along by the river outside.
    Love Debbie

That sounds a nice place Debbie.
    I love the Lake District but have always got wet!
    Maybe now is a good time to go......

Forum Member
    Right the View Hotel is on the list for the next kid free weekend we get! My wife and I stayed at The Crown Spa Hotel in Scarborough, we had a lovely sea view room, and the staff were very accommodating. For a seaside town it was very scooter friendly, miles of ramps and promenade.

Ka2679
    Hi everyone, ive been a viewer of the Forum for some time since my husband was diagnosed with MND in 2015, but I have plucked up the courage to make a post - so please forgive this newby i am just trying to navigate my way around the site! On the topic of holidays I wondered if anyone could help with some recommendations of suitable hotels or self-catering accomodation in this country, within a 3 hour drive of manchester - perhaps lake district?

My husband is very nervous of going places too far away, but I have convinced him to let us have a go at one last holiday, but I need to have assurance that the accomodation is suitable. He is in an electronic wheelchair all the time now and needs wet room with grab rails, preferably rise and recline chair etc. I have looked at many a website and have got overwhelmed to be honest and a few of the companys I have emailed do not give me assurance they would be totally suitable. Just wondered if any of you in a similar situation had tackled this successfully and would have any recommendations?

Thank you in advance

Forum Member
    Hi Ka
    Welcome to the forum. I have been on holiday twice recently and have found that what they call disabled rooms and bathrooms leave a lot to be desired . We managed though and had a lovely time once we had rearranged the room and put things in place !

For instance the Crown Spa in Scarborough ,the room was huge but normal width doors and the wet room had a normal size toilet , although they did put a seat riser on , but still on small side . The main thing was it had only one arm support so we had to put a heavy chair at the other side , for me to use it . The lift in hotel was so small it was just big enough for my power chair.

Llandudno I found was more geared up for disabled people it has a long flat promenade. I have never seen as many wheelchairs and scooters in one place . Also the hotel room was better , on the ground floor with wide doors and the bathroom more accessible .

I would say if you found a hotel that sounds ok phone them and ask all the questions about what you need and be specific . I will definitely do that in the future . I think the thing is there are many different forms of disabilities that they do not cater for every one . I am that used to my home that I do get a bit disoriented else where.

But I must say it was good to spend some quality time with my partner and it did us good

Sorry I can't be more helpful , it is certainly a problem as we all have different needs. I think self catering chalets are the answer but I wanted to try a hotel because we have all been used to hotels

Good luck and hope you find something suitable
    Love Chris

Forum Member
    Well my lovely Husband Mick is all packed for 3am ferry from Liverpool for his fishing trip. We will keep in touch by phone. Interestingly I read an earlier thread where someone mentioned not flying with a breathing machine. Mick uses a nippy and last week he had appt at chest clinic. He asked about flying in October and was told this was fine. The nurse was happy to do official letter for him.

Hi Ka

Close to Manchester (my neck of the woods too) is Brick house Farm near Blackpool - a selection of cottages varying in size but all offer hoists, electric (2 have profiling) beds, rise and recline chairs, wet rooms etc. Lots of optional extras. I think one of the other forumites has mentioned this also in this thread. Also, they have a hydrotherapy pool which is new. This can be booked without a cottage stay. It's 35 for 4 people for an hour. We are hopefully going next week. There's a ceiling track hoist and mood lighting etc and I have finally convinced my other half to give it a go. I'll let you know how it is. Also not far from Manchester is Hoe Grange Farm near Matlock in Derbyshire. Lovely adapted lodges in a rural setting. We went in May and it was very pleasant. Carsington Water close by for long walks and they have a Boma chair (bit like a go kart to look at) but is for disabled people who would like to 'off road' and scoot through the meadows! The Bruce Wake Charity helped to fund this. They have adapted canal boats but hubby didn't fancy that so we got some help with the farm stay instead it was first holiday in 10 years! I didn't want to come back x