Thread: Hello

Forum Member

Hello

Hello

My mum was diagnosed with MND in November 2017, weakness started in her legs and then progressed to her waist and now she has some hand weakness. My mum lives in Qatar and I currently live in the UK. She is bed bound now. She gets around the house using the electric wheel chair and we use the hoist to transfer her from the bed to the wheel chair and toilet chair.

A month ago she had a Deep venous thrombosis and now she is on treatment for that. I am trying to arrange for physiotherapy for her at least once a day to help with her leg circulation. She also now starting having constipation and she was started her on lactulose and senna for that. We have recently bought the biobidet that hopefully she will be using soon

As she hasn't been outside the house for many months now, we are trying to adjust the car so that she can be transferred from the wheel chair to the car using a car hoist.

I am really happy to be in this forum because of all the support that is given here.

Thanks

Forum Member
    Hi Tomy
    Welcome to the forum I too was diagnosed in November 2017. You have all the help and support you can need on the forum , there is always somebody that can help. A lot of the people have had MND for a long time and are very knowledgeable .
    Best wishes
    Love Chris

Hi Tomy and welcome to the forum,

Sorry to hear your mum and her added problems on top of MND.

Maybe a air massaging lower leg boot type thing would help her legs or compression stockings. I'm not expert on that matter.

Regarding getting her into a car, you might be able to move the arm out of the way on that side and use a board to slide her across. We would generally get a WAV , a vehicle with ramp so your mum can stay in her wheelchair in the car/van.

Another option is to have a special passenger seat that turns and then slides out onto it's wheels to make a wheelchair, they can be powered or push.

Regarding constipation, make sure that sure that she drinks plenty of water as this helps many other things as well but getting rid of liquid can be a big problem especially for females in a wheelchair.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Welcome Tomy,

Sorry to hear about your Mum. I don’t know what the care service is like in Qatar but you have come to the right place for practical advice on how to make things comfortable for her.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Thank you Raymod People here are really helpful and they give invaluable advice that couldn't be found elsewhere.

Love
    Tomy

Forum Member
    Hi Terry and thank you for your kind reply

Thank you for the advice. Yes, I believe compression stocking would be a good option along with some physiotherapy.

I had a look on this website regarding car lift and it seems to be another option to consider as well. https://www.autochair.co.uk/.

Regarding gettring rid of liquid. Indeed it is a big problem and she actually tends to drink less water so that she don't need to go to the loo much often. We tried to get "go girl product" to help her to pass liquid while in wheel chair but it was difficult to use and we need to use the toilet chair instead.

Love
    Tomy

Forum Member
    Thanks Barry.

I am really happy to be here as well.

Love
    Tomy

Hi Tomy,

It's a horrible thought but many ladies with mnd find a catheter so good as it gives them freedom and stops any worries.

It should get her to drink more liquid which should help relieve her constipation.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    Hi Terry

Thanks Terry, I will see what mum thinks about the catheter option.

Live
    Tomy