Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried a Batec or similar

Forum Member

Anyone tried a Batec or similar

Has anyone tried or got a Batec or similar electric quad wheelchair attachment ,they look ideal for me as i travel a fair bit and the off road capabilities seem perfect and they fit in my car so no wav needed ! Any thoughts would be most helpful

Hi Montana Tony,

I spoke to a man using this whilst on holiday. He was pleased with the product but it is a very expensive addition to a manual wheelchair. My personal view is that you can get a good folding scooter with suspension for half the price, albeit it wonít be anywhere near as fast.

Barry
    Last edited by Barry52; 30th May 2018 at 15:11.
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi Barrie
    It's the off road capability which attracts me to the batec the price is as you say steep but I haven't found a folding chair that's suitable yet
    I am nearly 6ft and in a all folding portable chairs I've looked at I look like I've taken a child's chair for a ride !
    Anyone that makes a big folding off road capable chair will make a real killing ,meanwhile we are left with chinease imported chairs for chinamen/women !!

Forum Member
    Hi Barrie
    After much thought and head scratching I have ended up doing exactly as you suggested !
    ,I've gone for the largest folding electric wheelchair I could find 08L freedom chair from spring chicken , they came to the cottage and I had a good outdoor and indoor trial it fit the bill perfectly
    We are offf to our daughters in Texas in a couple of weeks for two months ,also fishing in Wyoming and Montana plus a couple of weeks at Disney so that should test the chair somewhat as well as me !
    Best Tony

Looks a nice thing at a reasonable price Tony;

It would be best to get all the instructions needed for it to go on a plane and maybe some protective case. You might need another battery as well, It would be interesting to know how much they cost and what type they are.

Here is a link to see the chair:- https://shop.springchicken.co.uk/pro...heelchair-a08l

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

That's an AMAZING trip Tony - gives our Phileas Fogg (aka Barry) some competition

You probably could do with a spare battery, or 2, to extend the chair's range, BUT do check first with your airline on their policy of bringing spare lithium battery/batteries for mobility aids - there may be restrictions.

At £300 each, there aren’t cheap. IDK if reconditioned ones are value for money – lithium batteries are not known for longevity!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

I have this chair, it's great!
    Sounds an amazing trip, my daughter was at uni in Texas, we had some fabulous holidays there.
    Hope all goes well and look forward to hearing all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Tony View Post
    Hi Barrie
    After much thought and head scratching I have ended up doing exactly as you suggested !
    ,I've gone for the largest folding electric wheelchair I could find 08L freedom chair from spring chicken , they came to the cottage and I had a good outdoor and indoor trial it fit the bill perfectly
    We are offf to our daughters in Texas in a couple of weeks for two months ,also fishing in Wyoming and Montana plus a couple of weeks at Disney so that should test the chair somewhat as well as me !
    Best Tony
    A great choice Tony. Make sure you have it covered on insurance.

I’m so envious of your fishing trips as that was a principal hobby of mine. My daughter and family have friends in Texas and they are going next year. I would love to join them but I am a liability.

Enjoy your holiday and let us know how you get on.

Tight lines.
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi Terry
    I got an extra battery ,it cost £299 and the chair comes with its own cover ,I am hoping we can gate check the chair removing batteries and controller at the gate ,and trust the handlers to treat it carefully although it does seem quite sturdy my trip will test that theory out ! I have a total of 9 flights on our trip so that will test its ability as a travel power chair

Forum Member
    Hi Ellie
    If they last the trip they will be worth it ,I however may loose power before the batteries !!