Thread: Leaving work

Forum Member

Leaving work

Hi all, it's Ginger here again. Hard week at work my arm, shoulder is very weak now finding it hard to raise it and my hand is difficult to use. My walking is getting difficult when I go out I feel I need my walking stick for reassurance that I won't fall over.

I'm waiting on a new automatic car should be arriving at the end of the month that will help with my weak left side.
    I've been very emotional lately OT delivered a wheelchair and a bath lift ,finding it harder to get in and out of the bath.

It's all very scary I keep getting painful spasms under my breast bone especially when I bend over to put on socks or shoes and it does it in the bath.

Being just turned 50 years old it's a big decision to stop work but working with young children is tiring and physical although I have worked there for 30 years and it's my passion to work with special needs children.

I'm inquiring about my pension to finish in January 2019 has everyone had experience of this process I'm worried about our finances don't know about other benefits I could apply for.

Hope someone can help me.

All the best wishes to everyone Ginger X

Hi Ginger;

Sad to hear that you are having so many problems at work and some types of special needs children do require a lot of for and effort. Maybe there's a less intensive group that you can help and/or reduce your hours.

Overdoing things is not good for Mnd.

Pension details can vary a lot especially if you have to take it out early. See if there's some adviser connected to work to help. Work also have a responsibility to provide things for you to make it easier or better for you there under the disability at work act. They can sometimes get grants and help with this.

You might be entitled to six months off sick, which whilst we don't want to go down that route, it could give you time to make up another year.

I'm not up on finances as mine were sorted out 6 years ago but others are and you can contact Mnda connect as they have people that you can talk to privately.

There are a few information sheets on it:-
    10a https://www.mndassociation.org/wp-co...titlements.pdf

10b https://www.mndassociation.org/wp-co...nalisation.pdf

10c https://www.mndassociation.org/wp-co...ies-grants.pdf

And 10e applies to your situation https://www.mndassociation.org/wp-co...rk-and-mnd.pdf

I know that all what I have said may not apply.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hi Ginger;

Sad to hear that you are having so many problems at work and some types of special needs children do require a lot of for and effort. Maybe there's a less intensive group that you can help and/or reduce your hours.

Overdoing things is not good for Mnd.

Pension details can vary a lot especially if you have to take it out early. See if there's some adviser connected to work to help. Work also have a responsibility to provide things for you to make it easier or better for you there under the disability at work act. They can sometimes get grants and help with this.

You might be entitled to six months off sick, which whilst we don't want to go down that route, it could give you time to make up another year.

I'm not up on finances as mine were sorted out 6 years ago but others are and you can contact Mnda connect as they have people that you can talk to privately.

There are a few information sheets on it:-
    10a https://www.mndassociation.org/wp-co...titlements.pdf

10b https://www.mndassociation.org/wp-co...nalisation.pdf

10c https://www.mndassociation.org/wp-co...ies-grants.pdf

And 10e applies to your situation https://www.mndassociation.org/wp-co...rk-and-mnd.pdf

I know that all what I have said may not apply.

Love Terry
    Thanks Terry will have a couple of weeks off work and decide what to do. It's a scary time.

Best wishes to you
    Ginger

Hi Ginger,

I'm sorry you're at the stage where doing your much-loved job has become difficult. It is stressful and distracting having to constantly worry about your safety and functional ability to do the job.

Would there be a part-time role available, even in admin, if you were able for it?

I'm no help re finances, but hopefully Terry's links are useful.

The automatic car will be great! I know it's a slap in the face to get new bits of kit, but they do keep us safer...

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Hi Ellie,

Thanks I know the equipment will help me when I need it but it's a difficult junction in my life. My family are very supportive and my husband is my rock. I have good friends at work who will help me to cope with my challenges.

I will take a few weeks off to access my options .

Thanks for your reply

Love Ginger

Hi Ginger

I'm still working, some days from home, trying to keep going as long as I can to try and keep things 'normal'.
    Are you claiming PIP? If not you should be. I've been receiving it since I was diagnosed 2 years ago and I get the full amount which includes a mobility element. The mobility element can be used to obtain a Motability car.
    I've just changed my car to a WAV since I now find walking, even with crutches, very difficult.
    PIP is not means tested and being in employment doesn't prevent you from getting it.

Andy

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    Hi Ginger

I'm still working, some days from home, trying to keep going as long as I can to try and keep things 'normal'.
    Are you claiming PIP? If not you should be. I've been receiving it since I was diagnosed 2 years ago and I get the full amount which includes a mobility element. The mobility element can be used to obtain a Motability car.
    I've just changed my car to a WAV since I now find walking, even with crutches, very difficult.
    PIP is not means tested and being in employment doesn't prevent you from getting it.

Andy
    Hi Andy,
    Yes I'm getting PIP and yes I'm waiting for my new automatic Smart car to be delivered which will help me stay mobile and independent for as long as possible. I can then tuck my weak left leg out of the way and no gear changing with my weak left hand/arm. I'm going to try to stay working I've had a lot of messages of support from my work colleagues. I'm determined to fight this cruel disease although it's getting harder and I'm scared.

Best wishes to you.
    Ginger

Forum Member
    Ginger:
    If you are going to continue working get onto the Access To Work scheme (ATW).
    They funded a cab to work and work-based equipment to sustain my working on for 4 years.
    Charles

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njm View Post
    Ginger:
    If you are going to continue working get onto the Access To Work scheme (ATW).
    They funded a cab to work and work-based equipment to sustain my working on for 4 years.
    Charles
    Thanks Charles will look into that.
    Best wishes, Ginger