Thread: Foot drop

Forum Member

Foot drop

Hello

I have foot drop in both feet and I use carbon fibre splints in my shoes to help me walk.

Yesterday I was given some indoor splints to keep my feet up when I am on the recliner. Unfortunately the nurse told me I can't walk in them around the house!

They probably are not for weight bearing Chris, just for keeping your feet in a comfy position and stop the muscles and tendons from stretching and causing pain.

Are you to wear them in bed too?

If you want to, you can post a photo of them or even just say what brand and model they are.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Hi Crisp;

I had a couple of leg splints made for me out of thermo plastic from the hospital.

I was to ware them when up and sometimes at rest. They were to go inside oversize shoes.. Because they were ridged I could not get up from seating, climb stairs or walk on any slopes.

Here are a couple of pictures of them:-

boot 014.jpg

boot 012.jpg

boot 016.jpg

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Thanks for the photos Terry. I like those AFOs.

They're great for keeping the feet in the right position. They'd have to be worn before lower leg muscle atrophy takes hold, or they'd be too painful to wear.

Over sized shoes??!! I think you'd need boots to fit a Yeti to fit over those

Love Ellie.

Hi Ellie,

They were just impractable as I couldn't do much in them. They do make some with a hinged ankle so that you could bend your lower leg forwards enabling you to get up but ones out of plastic would be too weak for me.

Love Terry

PS:- they are not my legs but I thought that my furry one's might upset so people maybe your hairy ones would do the same.

Yes you're right, I'd say it'd be uncomfortable/difficult to walk with them on, but for those who can't walk, they'd hold the foot in a nice position.

Too late for me - I've craters in my lower legs where muscle used to be, so both my feet are very turned in

Love Ellie.

My legs have lost a lot of muscle but I still do carf raises and stretch them as well as squats so I guess I'm lucky compared to you.

My feet turn out and it is very hard for me to get them near straight when walking.

It's horrible seeing muscle wastage.

Love Terry.

Forum Member
    hi all

I have had lots of different types of ankle braces and support over the years and now have the best one ever

http://pro.bioskin.com/trilok-ankle-brace.html

It is a bit fiddly to begin with but it is worth it

Sarah

Forum Member
    Hi, I.m on my 3rd set of orthotics, I wear them all day until I go to bed. They are right angled, carbon fibre, and I wear an additional insert to support the arch of my feet. I can go up and down steps, walking uphill is more difficult. I use crutches to support myself as can't walk very far and a chair otherwise.
    My latest pair of AFO's are very good as they go up to the knee, and are very supportive, and feeel much more stable and balanced. They are called 'Blue Rockers', and as I have foot drop in both feet which are dead from half way down from the knees they work well. Need shoes a bigger size tho Liz x