Thread: Ovrbed computer table

Ovrbed computer table

Hi. My husband is finding it tricky to hold stuff and is exhausted so spends a lot of time in bed. I've found a few overbed tables with adjustable tops in two sections but the only ones with reviews on ebay and Amazon are fairly inexpensive so I'm worried they might be rubbish. Has anyone used one, and if so how sturdy is it and where did you get it from? This is the best one I can find: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coavas-Adju...ments=p_76%3A4
    Last edited by Julip; 10th June 2018 at 12:37. Reason: Grammar

Hi Julia,

Sorry to hear that Mike is exhausted Does he use a BiPAP machine to help his breathing and, if he does, has its settings been checked recently? How is his calorie intake?

These can affect his energy levels and getting these right can give his energy a real boost.

Re the table - I hope someone can give you a personal recommendation.

Things to look for are:
    The dimensions & heights are key.
    - Can Mike raise his arms high enough to reach the PC?
    - Will the table go far enough across his bed so the PC will be centred?
    - Does it solidly support the PC?

What about a laptop table - might that be less of a faff?

Hope you're doing OK and gettin some 'me time'...

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Julie;

I think that the one you've pick out could be a bit short and his computer or other things won't sit central to the bed.

I have got something similar to this that I occasionally use :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deluxe-He...0AAOSwWaRZqAby

It is not the same and is a bit flimsy but I have used my laptop and eaten off it. My one has chrome leg bits and the anti slide rails are lower. It is also beside my bed every night to put things on.

Ask his OT although I don't think they provide tables or see what the hospice use.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hello
    I was supplied with a GridPad and stand to hold the computer. I have a sticky dot on my forehead which acts as a mouse and a button to click. The system was supplied by ACE in Oldham. It is a fantastic piece of kit.

I installed Google Chrome and now I can surf the Internet from my recliner. The button is on my lap so no raising arms etc.
    Last edited by Chrisp; 10th June 2018 at 14:41.

Forum Member
    We are based in South Lakeland if want to see it or message me and my wife will respond (email or phone)

Hi Ellie.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply in such detail. He's just had a respiratory check up and although his Base is a little low everything else is great; actually better in some respects! They put this down to his effective use of the cough assist. His sats have improved recently since we bought a profiling bed and he doesn't slide down the bed any more. His calorie intake is more than 3,000 a day and he's maintaining his weight. His muscle "twitches" are really violent at the moment making his entire right hand move during the night so perhaps this is why he's so tired?
    Because he has Bulbal Onset his voice has gone although he's still mobile, just breathless, and uses his laptop sitting at the table but gets tired quickly as he has trouble holding his head up. I'm going to contact his OT for more advice.
    I'm doing OK. Not a lot of me time as I'm also caring for my grandson who lives with us and is just 16 months old, but today I have the day off!
    Love Julia.

Hi Chrisp.
    Thank you for your insight.Mike's just got a Gridpad for speech (bit reluctant so we're continuing to communicate through the ancient art of Mime). He also has a cushioned lap pillow thing which is working reasonably well but he can't maintain the position of it because he's twitching so much. I'll check out ACE.
    Love Julia.

You're right in thinking that his constant twitching uses up energy Julia.

My neck is also very weak and if I don't wear a neck support, I end up navel gazing and in pain.

I've tried many different neck supports, by far the best is the 'HeadUp' collar (aka Sheffield Snood) which was only recently made available through the NHS. You might be lucky in that your husband's OT can get him one. (I was on the trial, that's how I got mine)

I rely on my PC so much - I use eye gaze - so, without my neck support, my life would be hard.

If his OT gives him a support that isn't good enough and can't get the HeadUp, the option is there to buy it - it's not cheap!!

Enjoy your well deserved day off. It must be enjoyable but exhausting having a 16mos old in the house. My 14 & 16 year old kids wear me out at times - can only imagine how full-on your grandson is!! Duracell bunny??

Love Ellie.

Hi Julia, me again

There are ways for Mike to use his laptop if that unruly twitching stops him using it manually - this info is all dependent on him getting a head support!!

I saw that Mike isn’t keen on GridPad, but I wonder if he’d be interested in using eye gaze technology to control his laptop as it is? (I am going to presume he has a Windows 10 laptop or tablet.)

Some people want to continue using Windows and all its Apps as they’ve been doing for years – i.e. he’d still be able to use his laptop as he does now and have a ‘Chat’ App too, which doesn’t look like it’s designed solely for disabled people. I’m not denigrating GridPad in any way, but I know its format can initially be off putting to some!

There is an excellent eye tracker available, the Tobii 4C, currently 122 on Amazon. It was developed for gaming, so is very accurate and agile - it's what I use. It does need someone to download drivers, so if you’re all technophobes do you know someone who can help? It’s straightforward enough.

Windows 10 has an inbuilt eye control feature or there are open source programs available to download. It takes a bit of practice but if he’s used to a Windows set up, he should be flying around it in no time.

There is also Camera Mouse, webcam based on head movement, which is free. It is less exact than eye tracking hardware and needs the user to have good enough head control, but worth a look.

There’s also a webcam based head tracker for Mac, the iTracker from Eye Twig, for USD35, but again, needs good head control.

If he has any questions, ask away.

Love Ellie.