Thread: Accessible Bedrooms in hotels

Forum Member

Accessible Bedrooms in hotels

Once again today I have heard from another person living with MND of their experience of failing to get a suitable accessible room from Premier Inn. Quite simply able bodied people can book online but disabled people cannot. To get a wet room one must ring the hotel, then if they have wet rooms, book online to get the cheapest rate, then phone the hotel back to reserve the wet room. Getting the hotel to answer the phone can be a challenge in itself. Unfortunately when many of us arrive we find that the wet room bedroom booked isn't available. I have 18 disabled people on my list who have experienced this unacceptable booking arrangement. Is this something that the association should address ?on behalf of people living with mND ?

Hi Bilando;

I have experienced similar about 6 years ago. We booked a disabled room thinking it would have a shower that I could get in to find it was over the bath. It turns out that only certain ones have fully accessible wet rooms and they were booked for the return trip so we had to rough it again.

It might be something the Mnda would take up in partnership with other societies.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Bilando and Terry
    I am relatively new to this and we are adapting to planning ahead when going out so I appreciate the frustrations.

On a more positive note we have just returned from a trip to the lake district where we stayed in a brilliant, accessible hotel. I am not sure it would be appropriate to post the name on here but feel free to PM me. We had a large bedroom with a super wet room. As we are having our bathroom at home converted soon this gave me lots of ideas. The hotel had mainly ramps and lifts with a couple of steps with rails to the restaurant. They immediately offered to get a ramp.

Terry I really hope you are feeling better soon .

Love Debbie x

Hi Debbie;

Please post names etc of places or companies you personally want to name and shame or recommend.

It gives people ideas of places to go to. You can say prices etc. If you ever put something down that is not quite right then we will say or the Mnda will remove it.

I hope I feel better soon as well.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    Last year we booked an accessible room with wetroom at the Premier Inn in Haverfordwest, Wales. Everything was fine, plenty of room in bedroom and wetroom.

Forum Member
    Bilando, I was formally diagnosed with MND ALS in May 2014 two weeks after retiring at 65. We have been on few holiday and in summer holiday took the family on cruise to the Mediterranean. I was still walking then but now cannot walk and talk. A few times been down south and stopped at King Arthur’s Arms in Tintagel . They have block of six rooms all with good disabled facilities.
    The best place been to twice with the family at half term in May this year and last year. Hope can go again it is Brickhouse Farm Holiday Cottages,Brickhouse Lane, Poulton Le Fylde. The facilities are brilliant there are two ground floor bedrooms and two upstairs, one ground floor has everything, at full bed ceiling hoist into bathroom. The rest of properties are brilliant as well, and good play area for the grandkids. It is not far from Blackpool and I got to go up the top of the tower.
    Best wishes John