Thread: Sore bum!

Forum Member

Sore bum!

Hi all
    Any advice regarding the best wheelchair cushions- Iíve been through loads and still yet to find a really comfy one
    Thanks
    Karl

Hi Karl,

I've a J2 Deep Contour cushion which has added gel to protect the coccyx. It works very well for my bony bum!

RoHo air cushions are also good.

It all depends on where your pressure points are, so ask your OT to assess you ASAP and to get you a suitable cushion.

I'm sorry you're sore - you need to get it sorted quickly, before you get pressure sores...

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Forum Member
    Karl, I have J2 wheelchair and original seat after a year was very flat and painfull. My chair supplied by local council. They supplied new seat for it. Not sure it’s reference, it is plastic air filled in patches and very comfortable. Best wishes John

Hi Karl;

Sorry to hear about your trouble and try to get it sorted quickly as you might get sores. Try to push that with your OT's and wheelchair service as it's a lot harder to deal with sores then sort out a good cushion.

My hospice OT spoke to the wheelchair service and got me a second hand one inch thick jell over cushion, very heavy but nice to sit on.

I'm quite mobile normally so I am quite often OK with just a standard one.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Karl
    Your OT would be the best person to organise this for you, or your District Nurse.

Forum Member
    I was given a powered chair but it made my back kick off been really painful since the day it came (fabric seat the probable cause) . They're ordering a new one with car type seat and the best seat for avoiding pressure sores. It'll take 6-8 weeks from ordering and that was 2 weeks ago. I've applied for an adapted apartment, wheelchair friendly doors and light switches and a wet room. I'll hear if successful some time this week after Wednesday. Lynne

Forum Member
    Thanks for all your replies, Northampton OT are brilliant and have given me 4 cushions to try out, sadly i didn’t get on with any of them, but happily I have started using the Repose air cushion (£70!from Amazon) which I use over the top of my original cushions and it’s really comfy �� so I finally have a happy bum !

Forum Member
    That's great KT. Lynne

Shame you had to buy your own cushion Karl

Your OT, or someone, should have been able to get you a suitable cushion.

Glad you're now more comfortable.

Love Ellie.

Best of luck with the accommodation Lynne - fingers crossed you'll get it!

Hope you get relief with the backrest too.

Love Ellie.