Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kevin 55

Forum Member
    Ellie:
    In my days as a student the medical school had a chimp house. All the research was done on chimps. I hope that has stopped. I hope there are no chimp models.

Charles

I doubt that apes are used in MND research nowadays.

One of the main living organisms that is involved, strangely enough - and in their thousands as I saw last month in a lab in Australia - is the zebrafish (Danio rerio).

Doug

China still routinely uses primates in medical research

Zebrafish are cheaper to keep (for medical research) than mice because they live in shoals, so require much less space and need less maintenance than the little 4 legged furry mammals! Economics...
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

I was told at the research centre in Sheffield that it costs £10 per week to keep a mouse. They also have zebra fish.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

They can have the mice in my loft for nothing!

Doug

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Zebrafish are cheaper to keep (for medical research) than mice because they live in shoals, so require much less space and need less maintenance than the little 4 legged furry mammals! Economics...
    Hydra and then human cell culture here.

I need to come out is a very long time ago biochemical geneticist - in fact my 1st degree and first Masters was in some of the early work on human genetics and human development.

Gerry Webster and John Maynard Smith were two of my early first-degree supervisors.

So my initial work was in Hydra - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra_(genus) - and then in human cell culture - which is where I got off this particular train really as the particular professorial medic I was reporting to as a student took my work as his own because all we had was a bunch of cell culture things turning over did not really know what to do with them - so I went off in an early 20 year old huff (as early 20 year olds can) and never came back

Warmly

Andy
    Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.

A tenner a week to keep a mouse !! For a few quid more, they could have my husband to experiment on - I'd donate him.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Don't start that, Ellie;

Or I'll be sent there to.

Love Terry